New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shilen Swap Meet!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Remember the swap meet this Sat. Weather is forecast to be great. I just got a list of surplus and not picked up barrels. About 350 from $50-$135. No seconds. Some are prethreaded and chambered for Mauser, Remington, and Savage.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
BTT... you guys are missing out if you can't go...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a great time! Attendance was down as a lot of the guys went to Phoenix for the last week and a half and were worn out.Some of the guys were doing last minute work at their deer hunting properties.
David Christman gave a good demo talk on bedding, Jerry Stiller of Stiller Precision Firearms gave a talk on receiver design, and Ed Shilen had a question and answer session on barrel making, break in, and cleaning. The shop was working in the morning and the early tours gave you a look while things were going on. A bunch of barrels went out the door. I almost jumped on the model 54 barreled action in 30-06 for either $350 or $450. I sure liked the Mod 37 Remington and I guess a whole lot of the others, but I have too many projects going now.
We might have it in the spring next year. Your comments would help.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spring is better; I might make it from Memphis. Sure miss the kolaches!

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i bought 2 barrels and i wasn't even there.... thanks, keith.....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimatcat:
i bought 2 barrels and i wasn't even there.... thanks, keith.....

thumb

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Finally made it to this one. Made half way through the shop tour before I had to get back to work. Next time I will plan better. I did leave with two barrels and saw some very nice rifles.
Thanks for a good time.

“I am an American; free born and free bred, where I acknowledge no man as my superior,
except for his own worth, or as my inferior, except for his own demerit.”
Theodore Roosevelt (1858 – 1919)

Posts: 240 | Location: texas | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It was a great day to spend in Ennis. Weather was perfect and the tour was really nice to experience.
Butch it was great to see you again. I can't imagine why a fella would EVER want his wife around a place where she could get an idea on what some of this stuff actually costs, but to each his own.
Thanks for giving the heads up on this. Now I gotta find a rem action to go with my new barrel. Smiler

Posts: 167 | Location: Rockwall (Dallas), TX | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dick and Trouble, Glad you had a good time. Jim, they asked that you return the barrels as you weren't present. Just kidding.
Butch

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had an excellent day as well. Between my bud & I, we picked up five barrels, two rifles, and a rather large bunch of miscelaneous items. Those $50 stainless blanks were mighty hard to put down. It's great to go broke saving money!
There was certainly no shortage of BR type eye candy, either. Had a good time, and am looking forward to putting this loot to good use. Nice to have met you Butch,............Bug.

It's the little things that matter.

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote