New
Find
Notify
Tools

bedding a savage 110
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I think this is my next step to improve on 2.5 inch groups. It is a wood stock, has anyone done this with this model before, is it pretty straight forward. Is there a way to determine how much mis-match may exist with clay or something before commiting to the task. Would it be worth just bedding the recoil lug?

Posts: 134 | Location: MO | Registered: 17 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
If that's a new Savage, I'd send it back!!! They stand behind all their guns and I'm sure they would help you out. Assuming that you've shot better groups than this with other rifles, that kind of accuracy is unnaceptable(at least to me).

bowhuntr

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, I havent heard of a recent Savage with that problem. Some of the older ones had an accuracy issue, but the later ones have been outstanding. My 110 in 30-06 will shoot 1 moa with almost anything, and with good reloads will shoot under 1/2 inch, 3 shot groups. I had a master craftsman re-do the trigger, it breaks like glass with no over travel, but the gun would shoot before that.
If it is an older model have a good smith bed it, it will be money well spent, unless you have experience bedding rifles. I agree that if it is new I would contact Savage.

Good luck and good shooting,
Eterry

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
its a year old, I am the original owner.

I am looking into bedding as an educational opportunity also [Cool]

I suppose the path of least resistance would be to sell this one, buy another, and eat about 75 bucks in the process. I am currently considering another gun, but cant see myself without a left handed 30-06 that I can bust thru the woods with (perfect for a savage)

one of us
Picture of AKJD
posted Hide Post
bajabill,

Try this link. Gives a good explanation on bedding a savage. Remember to keep clearance around the tang. My first bedding job was on a savage, a good one to cut your teeth on. Good Luck.

JD

http://www.snipershide.com/blackrifles/savage_bedding101.html

Posts: 323 | Location: Fairbanks AK | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
wow, what a great set of directions. Thanks a bunch.

I shot this gun yesterday after I lapped the scope rings (which it turned out was greatly needed judging by the progression of the sanded region) and taking apart and reassembling the action to the stock. And, it grouped much better than it ever has. Definitely has a group pattern and flyers/mistakes/wind gusts/etc are obvious. I was holding roughly 9 of 10 to 1" or 1.5" and a number of times I had to walk up to the target to verify 2 shots next to each other. [Big Grin]

I may bed the rifle anyway just for the experience though.

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
In my case, it was pressure on the tang. A 110 in 223 went from 3" groups to consistent .7" groups.

A quick way to check is to raise the action by putting a shim behind the recoil lug and one in front of the rear action bolt. Something like a tooth paste tube thick. If binding is the problem that'll fix a good part of it. HTH, Dutch.

[ 12-09-2003, 01:39: Message edited by: Dutch ]

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote