Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

mauser action indentification
 Login/Join

posted
I have my dads rifle after he passed on, its a sporterized mauser action , 30-06, rebarreled, timney trigger...old barrel unkown location.
I would like to put a decent scope on this rifle and shoot it and possible deer hunt with it a time or 2 for nostalia sake.
My dad was left eye dominant, yet right handed. So he had really high mounts so that he could shoot accuratley, I am just the opposite and find the current set up unusable.
It has i believe kwikee over/under base/rings.Its the ones that are 1 piece ring/base combo in the rear and again in the front.
How do i identify what type of mauser action to get the right bases and rings for a 2.5x 10 x50 scope?
I have read about m model 98, k model 98, fn model 98...
I ahve no idea about this rifle
There is nothing on the new barrel except a 30-06 stamp.

Help

one of us
posted Hide Post
Remove the mounts and measure the distances between the base screw holes front and rear respectively. It sounds like two each for the front and rear bases. Take pics of the screw holes and post. It is possible it is a standard two piece Weaver pattern, in which case replacement is easy. Lower rings should complete it.

Posts: 3713 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably the best thing to do would be remove the existing bases/rings and then take the rifle to your local smith and have him furnish bases that will match the existing mounting holes and go from there. That way you won't (hopefully) have to redrill/tap new mounting holes. Ring height is determined by scope objective diameter and the bolt handle configuration. As far as what action you have take a look here:

http://forums.accuratereloadin.../9411043/m/861105007

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I don't supppose that all mauser actions have the same hole placement???
Thanks for the replies, I really don't know of any smiths nearby.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gspman1:
I don't supppose that all mauser actions have the same hole placement???

That is correct, they don't.

The commercial actions that came factory drilled & tapped after about 1950 had .860" & .500" spacing front and rear espectively.

Sporterized milsurps and early commercial models weren't factory drilled & tapped and so can be found in a myriad configurations.

Then of course you need to determine whether it is of small ring or large ring configuration.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote