THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Anyone here know the folks at Gentry Custom? _ UPDATE

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone here know the folks at Gentry Custom? _ UPDATE
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted
I'm wondering if anyone here knows the folks at Gentry Custom. I spoke to them on the phone a couple times but they haven't come through with what they committed to. I've tried emailing them but get no response. I'll try calling again today, but was wondering if anyone here knows their situation like maybe they're on vacation?

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I hope your dealings with them goes better than mine did. EVERYTHING comes before the customer at that outfit.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
everything i hear about them seems to be negative

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
didn't the late Mr. Gentry enjoy a fine reputation? I spoke with them about a LH safety for a CZ 550 and experienced a similar situation.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
My opinion was formed when the late Mr. Gentry was at the wheel. Mrs Gentry manned the phones back then and would refuse to let anyone speak to the people doing the work. All replies were vague and when pressed for a real answer she alway's said I'll have to get back to you. This went on for about 10 months and when I finally demanded my parts back they got "customer friendly." The job was finished about 6 weeks later.

When I recieved the barreled action it was sent to another smith to fix what they screwed up. This smith took the barreled action, my deposit and then skipped town on his wife and customers and moved to Mexico. That's a different story though Roll Eyes Mad

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i guess i'm a sample of one who got great service from gentry. when i called for info it came from a male, who's name i forget, but he was polite and informative. i sent two left handed mauser actions to them with the intended triggers already in them to have them install the 3 position safety they make. i got them back within a month and they work was fine.
this was when dave senior was still alive

Posts: 980 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last year I emailed about a barrel band sling mount and was told it was in stock and given a price. I sent a check and promptly got the part. Quick, clean and neat with no drama.

But it certainly wouldn't be the first firearm related business that makes a good part but can't give good service every time.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
I have a barreled action in the Gentry shop now. It's been there a while, but I'm patient. They have been polite and helpful with me so far. But I did get informed last time I called that they are busy and it would take a little longer to get my project finished.

It's sort of like going to a resturant. One resturant has a parking lot full, and a line at the entrance, while the resturant next door has no line, and plenty of parking space. Is there a message there? I generally don't mind standing in line a little while, if the service is worth it.

I'll know more when I get the rifle back.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Got through to Gentry and they were real helpful. I'll do business with them again.

John Farner

Posts: 2944 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
I had them install a left hand mauser safety a few years ago. NIce people. Great service. I have no complaints.

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Rem 700 3-pos safety about 4 years ago. As it happens I only got round to having it fitted 2 months ago. Gave all the instructions and parts to the local 'smith, who expressed confidence he could fit it no probs.

I have 3 of these fitted to various Mausers they all work fine.

He phones me a week later saying it couldn't be fitted, the durn thing is crook, and he has buggered up the cocking piece. OK I've read about timing problems with these gadgets on these forums so I e-mail the Gentry shop explaining the problem, and could I purchase an already modified cocking piece.

That done I travel the 200 miles to the smith to get the rifle, he has sourced a new cocking piece and doesn't charge me for the work.

I get home, take everything apart it turns out HE DIDN'T DRILL THE PLUNGER HOLE IN THE BOLT!!!! He did not follow the instructions AT ALL. It is the first thing you do!!

Anyhow I do it myself, and then start the slow process of grind, assemble, test, disassemble, grind some more, assemble, test.....

Eventually I got it to work slicker that catshit on lino.

BTW I am still waiting on the reply from Gentry.

If Chuck Norris dives into a swimming pool, he does not get wet. The swimming pool gets Chuck Norris.

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
My opinion was formed when the late Mr. Gentry was at the wheel. Mrs Gentry manned the phones back then and would refuse to let anyone speak to the people doing the work. All replies were vague and when pressed for a real answer she alway's said I'll have to get back to you. This went on for about 10 months and when I finally demanded my parts back they got "customer friendly." The job was finished about 6 weeks later.

When I recieved the barreled action it was sent to another smith to fix what they screwed up. This smith took the barreled action, my deposit and then skipped town on his wife and customers and moved to Mexico. That's a different story though Roll Eyes Mad

Terry

rotflmo Damn that has to be a true story.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
quote:
skipped town on his wife and customers and moved to Mexico.

I admit, I've thought of doing just that, and in-fact will do just that next week...but I'll be back. Seven days of bass fishing is all I can take at one time. Big Grin

John Farner

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I ordered a 3-position safety for the MarkX Mini-Mauser and got it in a week (last week). I don't know whether or not that is typical but, based on that I'd do business with him again

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
skipped town on his wife and customers and moved to Mexico.

The pastor that was supposed to marry my wife and I did the same thing DAYS before our wedding. Except he skipped town with his secretary.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote