New
Find
Notify
Tools

What did this stock come off of?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Bought a Portugese contract Mauser a while back that was in a sporter style factory stock that is marked inside "Made in Italy". Anybody recognize it? I will probably try to sell the stock and would like to know how to describe it. This is the only picture I have right now. This is not the original barreled action/bottom metal for this stock. That's all I know.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was an Italian company called SILE that made many Winchester stocks during the 60-90's. I saw them sold through Gun Parts Corp. It is possibly one of theirs.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Dennis. I'll explore that trail.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The picture says more than any description would.

JMHO...

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm betting it was made by SILE. I have a new Lee Enfield sporter stock around here made by them

......civilize 'em with a Krag

Posts: 291 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by montea6b:
The picture says more than any description would.

JMHO...
Agreed. It's a pretty nice stock given the dated styling and rather amateurish checkering pattern. Quite nice figure and decent inletting quality. Just thought knowing what it came off of might interest a couple more potential buyers.

The possibility it might have come from SILE doesn't seem to help much so far.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe we may have a winner! A quick search on Google images turned up both Hussar's and 98 Mauser PH rifles with very similar stocks. Give that man (thirdbite) a cigar! beer

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
thirdbite: There's enough wood on there that I was able to shorten the forend and reshape it, remove the rollover comb, reshape the cheekpiece and remove a little more wood here and there. It didn't look bad after I finished, altho I lost the checkering on the forend
I've done the same thing with a Hussar ZG47 and Brno ZKK Weatherby-style stocks. At first glance it doesn't look like there is enough meat but actually there is to make a European-style sporter. I added ebony forend tip, opened the grip, added a steel grip cap, solid recoil pad, straightened the comb and shaped a pancake cheekpiece. Yes, you loose the checkering, but no real loss.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
As thirdbite and Glen71 opine, I would swear that stock comes off of Smiler a mid-'60s Parker Hale "Super" model.

Posts: 5095 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Almost certain it is from a Parker Hale rifle, and yes, the checkering would be no great loss.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Assuming this stock is from a P-H Super, does anyone know how the PH triggerguard compares to a K98k TG at the front action screw? This stock is wearing a military K98k TG, locking screws and all. I wonder if the inletting has been extended forward of the front action screw to fit it.