New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rebarrel a LH Ruger M77 to 300H&H
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Okay, I admit, I am a one off kinda guy at times. I have found a well used LH M77 in 7Mag and I want to rebarrel it to 300 H&H.

Short of knowing I will have to shorten the ejector to accommodate the longer case, replace the mag box/follower ( maybe) to fit the 300, Will I have issues feeding the 300 from a rifle with feed lips cut for the shorter chubbier 7 Mag case?

Any other input would be appreciated!

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1876 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ALREADY BEEN ANSWERED

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If brownells still has the mag boxes and followersfor the 375 H&h Express rifles, you are easily in business. You'll need to carefully mill or dremel out a little front and rear. Someone posted detailed pics on how to do it several years ago. I copied them to my computer. I can email them to you if you like. I bought a box and follower, years ago, intending to do 375 H&H, but then Ruger came out with the
375 Ruger...

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3292 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Will not work on M77: must use a MKII

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dpcd- ahh, thank you! It is a MkII-

I ordered the magnum mag box and follower from Brownell's this morning. I am having McGowen make a barrel- Medium sporter 26" CM. I want to add basic open sights- thinks NECG Standing with one leaf and a NECG front sight- the barrel will have a .650 muzzle- so that one is easy- but what height/ Also, the rear base- not sure which one to order- as I do not know the taper or diameters at the eventual rear sight location- any help? I want the rear sight to clear the scope (likely a Leupold mid power variable. I intend to use the Ruger stock, maybe replace later.

Any recommendation on milling the rear ring and or notching the front ring to allow easy loading? Ejection should be no problem.

I appreciate your comments.

Nonagonagin- measure twice-cut once.

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always sage advice...it would have been nice to know WHAT receiver you had at the beginning and my comment addressed one of my Ruger M77 Tang conversions to a 50 Rigby wildcat would not have fit, but by the time I posted it, Medved had posted that article that covered the subject so my addition was superfluous ...so I deleted it...

One of the problems with forum questions is ALL the required information never quite gets added in the first time and it takes a few posts to sort things.

Yeah....measure twice, cut once... Big Grin tu2

Luck on your project. beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah....measure twice, cut once..

or my way - measure twice - cut once - cuss - buy more - cut again Wink

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sory- could have been more detailed.

As far as sight bases and location- any rules of thumb or similar guidance?

Or, should I just have McGowen mount the barrel and sights? I am on a budget so....

I'll give McGowen a call later.

Wish my Father was still around....He would know and volunteer. Julian G Cempa 1929-2008

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No need to cut any notches in either the ring or bridge; that is for clip loading. It is easy to fit rounds into the magazine.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
No need to cut any notches in either the ring or bridge

tu2

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, yeah, Butch...happens WAY too often, very few own up to it... Frowner coffee shocker...of course I never did such a dastardly thing...and owned up to it... Whistling lol

Hey, Boss...I cut it three times and it's STILL too short. Confused

HP...McGowan will do all the work for certain...you can get a good idea of the cost by going online...but it depends on what types of sight you want...The receiver already has notches for scope mounts but if you want open rear or a front sight, unless you can do the work, it is better to have McGowan do the barrel complete with holes D/T'ed, headspaced, crowned etc. There are lots of ways to go to accomplish your task by crawling the net and doing it yourself.

Luck beer