New
Find
Notify
Tools

30 USA, historical data
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I found this case recently while poking around the remains of a homestrad in the Missouri River Breaks of central Montana. As you can see the headstamp is "30 USA-UMC-REM"

The dimensions are similar to the 30-40 Krag

Cartridges of the World state that the 30 USA is a "rimless version (of the 30-40) loaded by UMC (and) was offered for use in the Blake rifle". The (rimmed) 30 U. S. Army was apparently issued in 1892 but I'm not sure if this is the same cartridge. Does anyone know more about the rimmed 30 USA and when it was issued (looks to be solely a military cartridge)? You spend time in that country, especially in the breaks near the river and you can begin to see 1892--I'm really interested in the history of the cartridge--seems like a story's in here somewhere.

Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
It is the .30-40 krag an early headstamp though.
they were also marked .30 U.S.G..
My book also state the same in a rimless version could be a typo or just elusive. wave

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3079 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
The .30/40 Krag (rimmed!!) was also known as the .30 U.S. Army (.30 USA) and as the .30 U.S. Government as well as .30/40 Krag.... I'm sure this got somewhat confusing after the advent of the .30/'06, as I have seen Peters .30/'06 cases that were stamped .30 U.S. Gov't also!!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Coincidence...last week hiking in the Califorinia mountains I found a severly corroded 30-40 case stamped exactly the same!