New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about the Remington 725????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have done a search for it but can't find much info......sure would appreciate it if someone would fill me in on the 725........is it a decendant of the Remington 30?

Is it suitable for the building of a DGR?

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It has the round reciever and pushfeed style bolt and extractor of the 721/722 but has a safety like the P14/17/M30 rifles.Not many of them around.I guess it would work for a DGR....unless you just gotta have controlled feed.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
GonHuntin,

Adding to the previous post.

The model 725 Remington, IMO, is the best they have ever made. I have one in 30/06 and have seen them in only 280 rem. But I know they made more. I believe they made an Alaskan version in 375 H&H and possibly a 458 WM labeled Safari. Both the 375 and 458 came with factory ported barrels(both very collectable, as is the 280). They are push feed actions with a 3 position enfield 1917 type side safety. Mine has a very decent piece of wood, with aluminum butt plate and (I believe) a plastic grip cap. The rear sight is an elevator type mounted on an express type base and the front sight is a bead type with hood. Its a pretty good set-up. Again trying to remember,I belive the scope bases were the same as the 700's.

As you mentioned it is a decendent of the mod 30. Kind of half way between the model 30 and the model 700

Not sure weather the checkering is cut or pressed because it is worn very flat. Hope this helps,

BigBullet

Posts: 1224 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

I have never seen one of this model. Could someone post a picture or two?

Cheers
/ JOHAN

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I have a Model 725 Remington in .244 Remington. It is not a decendent of Model 30. Time-line wise, it came after the 722 and 721, and is a descendent of them. It came just before the M 700. Some folks consider it a deluxe version of the M772/721, but it is not. It is its own separate model. There was probably some overlap of the last 722/721's and the 725, sales-wise.

My 725 takes the same scope bases as the 722/721/700. Bottom metal is not a one-piece, non-opening affair like the 722/721, but very much like the M700. Safety looks like the M30, but I don't believe it operates the same. Unless my memory is playing tricks on me (which has happened), the trigger on the M725 is very much like the trigger on the M700, and the safety of the M725 works in conjunction with that trigger, which is very much different than the M30 trigger.

If I knew how to post pics here, I would do some close-up digitals of it and post them, but I don't know how to upload photos.

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
The 725 is NOT a descendant of the M30, except for the fact that it is a Remington rifle! It is a descendant of the M721/722 series, and represents the "pre-700" Remington efort to add a little elegance to the plain-jane 721/722's by a redesigned stock and the addition of bottom metal that had the appearance of a milled piece in lieu of the ugly stampings found on its' predecesssors!! The 725 didn't last long, and was replaced by the 700 series. My only recollection ofg a 725 was one a friend had in .30/'06, and it had a broken floor-plate (aluminum), which couldn't be fixed, and he was never able to get a replacement from Remington! he ended up having to get a "custom-made" steel one so he didn't have to use his rifle as a single-shot.

posted Hide Post
I have a 725 in .30/06 - it's a nice looking rifle, the stock has cut checkering and there's a checkered, aluminum buttplate. Model 30-style safety, the bolt and triggerguard/floorplate look like a model 700. Mine's missing the rear sight, but still has the original, hooded front sight. I don't have photos, but for reference, here's a 725 in .280 at Gunbroker.com -

Rem 725 @ Gunbroker.com

Posts: 12 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2002Reply With Quote