Find
Notify
Tools

Whiting... what best to mix with?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted
Hi, I just picked up a small container of whiting to remove some oil from wood prior to finishing. It says to mix with TCE cleaner/degreaser. I'm not familiar with TCE cleaner/degreaser, but will acetone or mineral spirits work?

Any advantage to mineral spirits = slower evaporation over acetone = faster evaporation?

Regards,
Brian

Meet "Beauty" - 66 cal., 417 grn patched roundball over 170 grns FFg = ~1950 fps of pure fun!

"Scotch Whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples." - Warren Ellis

NRA Life Member

Posts: 479 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I've always heard to use denatured alchohol. Acetone is=too fast and mineral spirtis way too slow on the evaporative scale.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tiggertate. Good to hear from you. I have some denatured alcohol. I'll try it.

Regards,
Brian

Meet "Beauty" - 66 cal., 417 grn patched roundball over 170 grns FFg = ~1950 fps of pure fun!

"Scotch Whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples." - Warren Ellis

NRA Life Member

Posts: 479 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always used plain old laquer thinner, the cheap stuff.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try toluene. Just don't inhale much of it.

Posts: 1239 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Brian,

Avoid the TCE. Its one of those things that REALLY does cause health problems. Lacquer thinner would be my recommendation.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote