New
Find
Notify
Tools

Source for sight hood material--
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need to make several sight hoods that are not (to my knowledge) commercially available. Is there a source for appropriate tubing that I could mill to spec? Thanks.

Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snowcat:
I need to make several sight hoods that are not (to my knowledge) commercially available. Is there a source for appropriate tubing that I could mill to spec? Thanks.

If they’re still around...try Small Parts Inc. They used to sell tubing in lots of different materials and sizes ranging from pin hole to about one inch ID.

Do a Google search and if they are still around they should pop up.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snowcat,

You got me curious so I did a search and they are still around.

Go to: www.smallpartsinc.com and click on materials. They have tubing in stainless, and several grades of chrome moly and in sizes you can probably use to make hoods.

Good luck!

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are better of using solid bar stock rather that tubing.

The stress left in the tubing will cause warpage when you slot it for the ramp.

When made from bar stock you dont get as much warpage when you slot or knurl.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rick, good link--

Jim-
Is there a way to stress relieve small parts line that prior to slotting--draw it back and re-harden maybe? Tubing would be alot more convenient

Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote