New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help with Win 64A mag tube bracket
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a 64A .30-30 on which the mag tube creeps forward under recoil. The problem is the ring bracket that holds the mag is cracked through, so the pin that engages a groove in the tube doesn't hold. The magazine plug screw that engages a blind hole in the barrel is not adequate to hold the mag by itself. I can't tell if the bracket is dovetailed to the barrel or soldered. In any case, I can't seem to find a replacement for it. Would silver soldering or brazing the crack be likely to hold? I'm getting a little tired of the comments elicited by the duct tape I'm currently using.

Posts: 40 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 64Ais not very common, they only making it a few years.
If I remember right the band is a powdered metal part, so soldering or welding is hard to do.I would look at the parts avalible for the commemoratives in the same era. A lot of those parts are the same.
Jim Wisner

Posts: 1484 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a good idea. Nobody, but nobody, lists parts for the 64A. I hope that isn't true of the odder commemoratives too. Any ideas where to look? I've checked Numrich and Brownell's, of course.

Posts: 40 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote