New
Find
Notify
Tools

Decent color finish on walnut stocks
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm hoping Customstox will chime in here, I'm thinking of the stock on the 404 Jeffery (ACGG gun
).

What do you use to get the nice red/brown tint? For a finish, I'm using a tung oil / polyurethane blend. Do you dye or stain the stock, or add pigment to the finish?

Thanks,
Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just about the time you are finished, cut back to the wood with 400 grit wet sanding, wipe dry, apply red/brown stain and let sit for 48 hours, then rub with scotchguard and apply a thin coat of finish, wet sand very lightly, apply finish...do this until your satisfied..You may then knock the shine off with fine scotchguard, oil and a little rottenstone....

You will have to mix your finish to get that Alkanet red your looking for...

A better solution is to find a piece of dark red walnut...Some Bastogne is very red and some claro is very red but good claro is hard to find.

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your response Ray. Here's the deal -- I picked up a surplus Mauser, 98/22, with the looong barrel and stock. The stock has an awesome fiddleback pattern, and I am looking for something to give it that nice red/brown color, to really highlight the figure, without clouding it. Are there any product names you can recommend? And do you recommend anniline dyes or pigment stains?

Thanks,
Todd

Edited:
If you get Sinclair Intl catalogs, you may remember one a while back that had a Garand with a similar stock on the front cover -- that's the color I'm looking for, same as Chick's 404.

[ 12-10-2002, 05:19: Message edited by: Todd Getzen ]

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray had me lost for a bit but I think he and I are on the same page. I may do it a bit differently. I put the stain on bare wood so it will penetrate. I do know if that is what Ray was saying but I am sure he is using a method that works for him and would work out fine. I use a non grain raising stain like Pilkingtons "Classic Stain" "pre 64" color. it is a reddish color. I put it on before I put on the soaking coats that seal the stock. I want this to go deep. I then add some to the soaking coats before I put that on. I then proceed as Ray said. I do not like adding a stain to a rifle stock. You can finish it but I prefer other methods. The tough part comes if you ding it up and have to repair it. It it is tough to fix it without it looking blotchy.

BTW, the ACGG rifle wasn't stained. It was just a beautiful piece of wood.

[ 12-10-2002, 12:08: Message edited by: Customstox ]

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote