New
Find
Notify
Tools

700 trigger care?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm been following the discussion about faulty triggers on the Remington 700 series rifles with considerable interest. Since I am mechanically challenged, I'd like to ask some questions: It would seem that part of the problem (sometimes) with these triggers is improper maintenance. I soak my Remingtom triggers in 90/10 alcohol or lighter fluid after the season and then blow them dry. Do I need to do more? Two of my 700s have Jewell triggers. Do these triggers have the same functional weakness as the Remingggton factory type?

Posts: 336 | Location: Central PA | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Jewel has a solid trigger, no connector.

The M700 can get some cleaning without breaking the seals. Take the action out, remove the bolt and drive the rear trigger mounting pin out from the safety side. Just far enough to release the sear. Lift the sear up and remove it's spring and you can douse and blow the innards with much better access.

All that's needed for lube is a light coat of auto tranny fluid blown around and in the trigger.

'Light coat' mean the same oil wiped in a glass wouldn't ruin the whiskey.

Defeating legislation through education.
There is no safe direction to point an unsafe gun.

Posts: 90 | Location: Remote Idaho, USA | Registered: 09 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have a Jewell trigger with a side saftey, you have a perfect trigger, but a 100% hazardus safety.
The safety can easily be positioned in a halfway position, and then you can pull the trigger, releasing the triggersystem, without that it fieres. Then it goes Kaboom when you push the safety forwards.
This phenomen is very easy to expierence, and is a clear designfault

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yikes! I just duplicated the fire using the safety with the Jewell. If you get the safety in just the right position, about halfway, you can feel the trigger unload. The rifle will then fire if the safety is moved forward.

Posts: 336 | Location: Central PA | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
If you place your gear shifter between first and second and release the clutch what do you suppose will happen? Answer: Who gives a shit!

The point is, the vehicle isn't designed to operate with the shifter in mid position, same applies to a firearm. It's either in or out, on or off. If there is no discernible on or off position, then that might be a problem that needs addressing.

If your shifter keeps kicking out of gear every time you release the clutch, then there is something likely wrong with "your" transmission, not the design. Same with the Remington trigger.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
If you place your gear shifter between first and second and release the clutch what do you suppose will happen? Answer: Who gives a shit!
I can guaranty you that if any idiot designed a gearshifter so that the gearbox was destroued, or that the car started driving sidewards when the shifter easily was positioned betwen first and second. And the mfg blamed the driver. This mfg would be out of buisness before you could count to 10
The point is, the vehicle isn't designed to operate with the shifter in mid position, same applies to a firearm. It's either in or out, on or off. If there is no discernible on or off position, then that might be a problem that needs addressing.

If your shifter keeps kicking out of gear every time you release the clutch, then there is something likely wrong with "your" transmission, not the design. Same with the Remington trigger.

Westpac with your aproach to safety, i realy don't hope you would ever be hired to do any designwork at all. With your responce i suddently understand why so manny americans sues mgfs for anything.
I realy dont hope that you represent the avarage atitude among designers and mfgs

one of us
posted Hide Post
On the Jewell trigger, IF you position the safety at the halfway point, then pull the trigger, then return the safety back to safe, and then take the safety off, will it still fire???

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Jargen, your ability to read and comprehend the written English is about as good as your ability to write it.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hoppes among other solvents can drain out of the barrel and into the action eventually winding up in any trigger. If you get enough of it dried up it makes a waxy gunk that gums up triggers. Then guess what happens?

If you store your rifles muzzle down you might never have a problem.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could also try to keep a light switch positioned between the on and off position. You might notice the electricity arcing. This of course is not the way the switch was intended to be used by the manufacturer.

You could also see what happens when you try to smoke a cigar all the way. You will burn your lips and fingers. Does that make the cigar defective?

one of us
posted Hide Post
On my 700 rifles with factory triggers, the safety is either on or off. Push the lever halfway and it will go the rest of the way to the fire position. There is no "neutral" position. Unfortunately, the Jewell has a couple of neutral positions. If you unload the trigger mechanism on my Jewells with the safety and then pull the safety back to safe, the rifle WILL NOT fire by pushing the safety off.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jargen, your ability to read and comprehend the written English is about as good as your ability to write it.

I gladly admit that my techincal knowledge is less poor than my english. actually i am glad it is so. Rather be relativly skilled on technique, and poor on englis, than beeing the opposit Wink

To stoneybroke and others
The problem with the Jewell is precicely, that ther is a neutral position in this area, where the safety is partially on. A more healthy design, would flip away from this partially engaged position.

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you place your gear shifter between first and second and release the clutch what do you suppose will happen?

Nothing of interest would happen because the transmission would be in nuetral. Roll Eyes

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildcat junkie:
quote:
If you place your gear shifter between first and second and release the clutch what do you suppose will happen?

Nothing of interest would happen because the transmission would be in nuetral. Roll Eyes

You missed the "who gives a shit" part. Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jørgen:
To stoneybroke and others
The problem with the Jewell is precicely, that ther is a neutral position in this area, where the safety is partially on. A more healthy design, would flip away from this partially engaged position.

Something like the Remington safety. Yes?

One of Us
Picture of Brando
posted Hide Post
I have been hunting with my 700 for over 20 yrs. And it has the ability to go into a neutral position if you hold the safety and move it there. If you slowly push the safety forward with your thumb like it designed to be done then it snaps right from safe to fire. Been hunting with it for over 20 yrs this way with the original trigger and it has never once done anything but be a safe firearm.

Honestly, you neveer should have your finger on or aorund the trigger till you aiming at something you intend to shoot.

Posts: 468 | Location: Goldsboro, NC. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I have 4 remington 700's bought new from 1980 to 85 and a remington 600 bought used. I have shot one of them extensively and the others a little bit. I've never seen the safety problem on mine or one that someone else owned. I do exercise proper safety procedures to make positive there will be no accidents and think that solves any potential worries. I guess I should add that I've adjusted the trigger pull on all rifles to 2 1/2 pounds and I've not had them altered to open the bolt with safety on. I don't see the design as flawed, don't want Remington sued. I'm not saying that others have never had a problem on an individual rifle, but I can not imagine the problem is too wide spread. Are we making too much of this reported problem?

Posts: 5707 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
...Are we making too much of this reported problem?
Hey Buckeye, I'd suggest "we" are not, but one person sure is.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote