New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apex barrels
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Numrich has a bunch of Apex "match grade" barrel blanks. They are advertised as broach cut.

Does anyone have any experience with these ?

Thanks

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
No experience with them but, they are probably older than the hills (not usually a problem). I think Apex went out of business many years ago but, they did broach cut there barrels. In their day, they had quite a good reputation. Depending on the price, I would buy one just to say I had one.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I own an Apex .308 caliber barrel. The rifle is chambered in 300 Apex. It's my go to rifle. Very accurate!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I remember them from years ago too. As I recall their top end barrel was cut-rifled. At least they had a lot of text in their brochure talking about the various ways to make a custom barrel, and why their barrel was best.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
There are several iterations of Apex barrels. Originally they were made in California, and ads for them describe two different forms, both found (for example) in the pages of the 1957 'American Rifleman' magazines.

Sam May (the proprietor/barrel maker) made both very nice custom barrels, and semi-mass-produced barrels which were put on Mauser actions and sold as inexpensive barreled actions through one of the surplus marketers (Interarms).

Later, in the 80's/early 90's they were made, still by Sam, in Flagstaff, Arizona. Originally, I believe they were all cut-rifled. I wouldn't be suprised if he then went to broaching and eventually even to button rifling. Not saying he did, but it would have made it much faster, easier, and cheaper to provide the barrels which were sold en masse on the barreled actions.

Still, I wouldn't be afraid of ANY barrel Sam May made, any more than I would be afraid of a Krieger today. He really WAS a master barrel maker. Certainly as good (or better) than any of his peers.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Just curious about the purpose of the OD collars on the larger caliber barrels. Recoil and rear sight?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any idea how old the barrels are? As of 2 years ago Apex was a going concern in Flagstaff, AZ. I assume they still are. EVERYTHING from them is cut-rifled on some really cool old Pratt machines. Steve something is the guy that owns the outfit, but they seem like more of a fun business than a full-time business. Steve has a day job, but is there every night.

I have a heavy sporter barrel chambered for 260 rem that is ok. Not sure I would go with them again unless I wanted something that I could not get somewhere else. I got my barrel there because a friend "worked" there, and I could watch the whole process.

If you want something like gain twists, really weird contours, odd-ball milling, they seem to have fun with that. Steve also has found some way to make titanium barrels work (according to him). I saw and handled a few, and they were remarkable. I asked about them and he mentioned they are not for general public- too expensive and he does not want the big boys to see his titanium barrels. I figure sheep hunters would pay 3 grand for one, but he was not interested.

I do not have a phone # for them, but they are probably listed. If not, call Ruff's Sporting Goods in Flag and ask Eric for a #.

Doug

Posts: 85 | Location: NE Washington | Registered: 03 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dougk:
Any idea how old the barrels are? As of 2 years ago Apex was a going concern in Flagstaff, AZ. I assume they still are.

I am glad to hear Apex is still going. After Sam died a few years back, I have not been in contact with them. Nice to see someone took over his shop and equipment, rather than having it end up disused and rusting away in the back corner of some machine tool resale warehouse.

Even if the barrels from Flagstaff are all cut with a classic one-cutting-edge tool set up, some of the older barrels may be broach cut. Obviously you understand that or you wouldn't have asked if he can date when they were made.

Could be that when Sam made the move to Flagstaff any broach cutting tooling he had did not make the trip with him, so only the "cut-rifling" was still possible on his machinery as located in Flagstaff.

And, too, all broached rifling IS a form of cut-rifling...just uses multiple cutters simultaneously, in a deeper, one-pass cut, rather than a single "scrape-cutter" in multiple passes.

If they are older barrels, I am with the fellow above who said he's buy one just to have one. If they are new current production, then they may be called "Apex" barrels, but to me they are not really so.

It's just like C&H, and a lot of the classic British & American gun names. Using the name without the original artisan(s) doesn't make it the real thing.

That doesn't mean the new guns or the new barrels aren't just as good, possibly even better. But, it does mean they are not the classic item the name suggests.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
When I first got my 300 Apex, I call Sam in California and had the great pleasure to talk with him. I too am glad to hear that Apex is still up and running!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool thread. Good memories. I loved the originalApex barrels. Sam worked for Pfeifer Rifle Co. in Sun Valley, Ca building barrels for the (right after WWII). There are numerous mentions of him in Monte Kennedy's checkering book. He late bought W. Sukalle'sbarrel making equipment and moved them up to Flag. The last job he did for me was a rebore with genuine cut checkering. In the end he sold out to Randy Brooks and Lex Weberneck, in some order. They subsequently sold to another fellow whom I can't recall, although I have spoken with him. I'm glad to see the Apex brand is back out there, especially if the quality is as good as it used to be. I'll always keep an Original Apex barreled rifle just for nostalgia, just like keeping an original Bliss Titus barrel.

Posts: 33 | Location: SW Oklahoma | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry about the spelling. That should have said genuine cut rifling.

Posts: 33 | Location: SW Oklahoma | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I have a 6mm Rem marked Apex Match Grade, on an FN400 action, stock by Monty Kennedy. Very 60s looking, not in vogue now, but fine craftsmanship just the same.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
I have a 6mm Rem marked Apex Match Grade, on an FN400 action, stock by Monty Kennedy. Very 60s looking, not in vogue now, but fine craftsmanship just the same.

fla3006, 60s quality and looks will always be in vogue as long as there are some of us old farts around to remember. Remember the Winslow's and some of the others that used to be around?

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote