New
Find
Notify
Tools

newbie question...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been bitten by the "gun sporterizing" bug, but have never done this. What old military issue action would you suggest for someone to look for to build a sporterized stock, etc...on? I have found an old 8mm mauser I can get for around $100 with an old stock on it. I have never even heard of an 8mm caliber until recently, so any education on this caliber, what it can do, what it could be used for etc would be helpful.

What I'd like to do is find an action in decent shape and get a custom stock, sand and finish it, glass bed it maybe and do what ever else needs to be done to get the gun in good shape for hunting. What should I be looking for?????

Dave

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Start out with one of the Swedish '96 mausers in 6.5 x 55. You may not have heard of that caliber either but ammo is often more available than 8MM and its a great deer through moose round. Guns are about that cheap and semi-inletted stocks are common as are synthetic bolt-ins.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
If you want to do a sporter, find a good mauser in either 6.5x55 or 8mm that headspaces well and does not have too terribly many pits in the metal. Start from there. Restock it if you like, or try and do something with the stock it comes with. You're about to embark on a fun learning experience. Get some decent literature on this subject and do ask as many questions as you need.

Action wise, I prefer the Model 98 actions to tinker with, but that's just me. Czech actions and rifles (VZ-24's and 98/22's) are still reasonably priced. I have four of them awaiting parts, time, and money.

Since you asked about the 8mm, think of it as sort of a German 30-06. A good caliber, especially if you reload and quite capable of killing just about anything. I will say however that it has neither the availability of loaded ammo nor bullets to reload that the 6.5x55 does. Either way, I like 8mm alot, shoot it alot and hunt with it too.

You're in for alot of fun!

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Mauser is an excellent choice in either 6.5, 7x57 or 8x57. Heck, even a 7.65 Argentine isn't bad.

This is an 1891 Mauser in 7.65, not done by me but sporterized in the 50's. Original issue stock with upper hand guard removed, nicely carved and checkered, with a peep sight added.

This a a commercial Mauser action in a Boyds laminated stock.

And a VZ24 Mauser in 7x57 with a Bell and Carlson synthetic stock.

The 8mm will basically do anything a 30-06 will do. Ammo is not as plentifull in your neighborhood store but it's easily available by mail order. or stocks check out http://www.boydboys.com , http://www.midwayusa.com , http://www.natchezss.com and many others too numerous to mention. You can find stocks for $50-$250 depending on your budget. I've also seen a guy on ebay selling Mauser parts, seller name is mrbonecrusher. Because you are also going to want a trigger, maybe with an integral side safety, new bolt shroud etc.

Good luck.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post