New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin 1895 feed problem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Basically, the shell carrier will no longer move to it's upper position but stops half way.

I think something is worn, possibly the cam on the carrier rocker. The am surface on the finger lever is very hard but I was surprised to find the carrier rocker can be easily cut with a file.

never to forgive. never to forget. never to give up.

Posts: 157 | Location: england | Registered: 03 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I'm sure there are folks here that can answer your question but, if they don't, try this forum. These people are REALLY into the 1895 Marlin.

http://www.marlinowners.com/board/viewforum.php?f=9&sid...5aa39c6bdaacf72cef47

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When the carrier stops half way up, does the bolt and lever come to a stop with it?

In order to troubleshoot the problem, you will need to pull the gun down and carefully look at how the bolt, carrier and the levers arm interact with each other as you operate the lever. If everything comes to a stop, then, with the gun assembled, open the lever as far as possible and then grasp and pull on the bolt while attempting to move the lever further back and see what happens.

Unfortuately, the closed design of the Marlin prevents physically looking into the action as you work it like you can on the 94. Of course it's the "closed" design that makes it more appealing as far as action strength goes. Catch 22. Good luck.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could be a lot of things, but sounds like the infamous "marlin jam", caused by the sharp edge on the lever's cam digging into the bottom of the lifter. Over time, the cam can actually dig a groove in the bottom of the lifter.

There is a how-to article on this on the leverguns.com site.

To prevent it, you radius the sharp edge of the cam.

To repair it, you'll either need to replace the damaged lifter, or else weld up the damaged spot and file it back down to the original dimensions. I think you can buy a lifter from Brownell's or maybe GPC.

Posts: 1095 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by malm:
When the carrier stops half way up, does the bolt and lever come to a stop with it?

No, the gun functions like normal except it cannot raise the lifter high enough to chamber a cartridge. So at the moment I am using it single shot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by andrew375:
No, the gun functions like normal except it cannot raise the lifter high enough to chamber a cartridge. So at the moment I am using it single shot.

Yeah it sounds like somethings worn. The problem lies in trying to determine a specific course of action when one can't see it. I don't know how tough it is to get parts where you are, but, you can replace the carrier and go from there, or, pull it down, locate where the problem lies and then build it up with weld, re-fit and re-time the piece... If the gun were here, it would take a matter of minutes to find the problem and determine a solution, but it isn't, and that is the problem. Good luck.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
Its definatly not the "Marlin Jam". I wrote the paper.

This sounds like what Malm is talking about.

How old is the rifle? Does it have the old style carrier with the spring loaded rocker or does it have the new style with the spring loaded plunger?

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by andrew375:
Basically, the shell carrier will no longer move to it's upper position but stops half way.

I think something is worn, possibly the cam on the carrier rocker. The am surface on the finger lever is very hard but I was surprised to find the carrier rocker can be easily cut with a file.

If you have not taken apart, let me suggest that you completely inspect each of the parts/pieces of the receiver. Taking one apart and re-assemble is not that difficult, can only go back one way which becomes obvious in a short while. Reason for this suggestion is to inspect and clean in it's entirety and while doing so may reveal a problem not noticed prior. I shoot and work on the Marlins a fair amount and I also do not think it is the so called Marlin jam, but would take apart and inspect, clean, lightly lubricate, and re assemble making sure the small screw holding the loading gate is very snug. Same holds true with all the other screws, insure they are snug/tight/torqued,etc. Screws do sometimes become loose and that is not good for a Marlin or others for that matter. Just a suggestion.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty Marlin:
Its definatly not the "Marlin Jam". I wrote the paper.

This sounds like what Malm is talking about.

How old is the rifle? Does it have the old style carrier with the spring loaded rocker or does it have the new style with the spring loaded plunger?

The rifle has the old type carrier and after examining the parts, I've had it completely to bits, I think the likely culprit is the cam surface on the rocker. I've cleaned and reoiled the moving parts and now sometimes the carrier is lifted all the way but usually it only makes it halfway. It appears that the rocker is slipping off the lever cam too early.

I'll look at it some more over the weekend.