Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 700 in 40x stock
 Login/Join

posted
I am interested in havinig my old rem 700BDL 30-06 re-barreled with a heavy stainless match barrel for some informal target shooting and stand hunting (not much walking) and would like to have it put in an older single shot 40x stock I can pick up cheap. How much work is involved in changing this repeater over to a single shot and what parts do I need?

Thanks

Posts: 36 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a pretty simple conversion. There is a "block" on the market (unsure of the maker, but I bet you can find it at Brownell's) that you epoxy into the magazine cutout. Then simply bed your action into the 40-X stock.

You'll have the original bottom metal, magazine box, spring, and follower left over to use on a later project, or somebody is usually looking to buy the parts to convert their ADL to a BDL...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It’s much easier to convert a BDL to single shot through the use of an after market follower than it will be to fit it all to a stock made for a solid bottomed receiver.

The single shot followers go right over the existing one and allow single round loading with the round dead center.

To put your action in a solid bottomed stock you will either have to route out an area for the mag box, spring and follower (making it an ADL for all practical purposes) or have something made that will accept the new follower and hold it in the proper position. I guess you might be able to bed the follower in place but that sounds like a pretty big job just to save some money on a used stock.

Why not just convert it to an ADL (new mag box only) and install one of the single round followers...then get a nice ADL stock for it? Then you have the option, if you ever want to, of having a repeater again by just removing the single shot follower.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
I've never seen a long action 40-X, and I don't believe they even exist. Even the 7mm 300 WM magnum single shots are short actions.

If you've got a 30-06 700 its going to be a long action.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
40-XB Rangemasters and Varmint Specials were available in long action to accept 30-06, 7mm mag, 300 Win mag, and 30-338.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
40-XB Rangemasters and Varmint Specials were available in long action to accept 30-06, 7mm mag, 300 Win mag, and 30-338

The 40x is still available in long action cartridges such as the 30-06,7mmremmag and 300win mag.But they are not available as repeaters.Is that because these rifles are built on short actions?

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stubblejumper:
quote:
40-XB Rangemasters and Varmint Specials were available in long action to accept 30-06, 7mm mag, 300 Win mag, and 30-338

The 40x is still available in long action cartridges such as the 30-06,7mmremmag and 300win mag.But they are not available as repeaters.Is that because these rifles are built on short actions?

You and fireball are correct, and I was wrong. The repeaters were not available in the longer calibers, so that stock won’t fit his long action.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I know there are quite a few different models of 40-X, so this may not apply to all of them...all the ones I have, however, have VERY short lengths of pull (short buttstock length). For mine to be comfortable for me as field guns, I'd have to put on at least a 1.5" spacers under each buttpad. They are useable as BR guns, though.

Might want to check length of pull before you buy.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks folks,

The guys at gun parts said the 40x stock would fit my long action 700, but I had not considered length of pull issues. I am rather short of stature though, and do intend this primarily as a bench gun.

Posts: 36 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfrum1:
Thanks folks,

The guys at gun parts said the 40x stock would fit my long action 700, but I had not considered length of pull issues. I am rather short of stature though, and do intend this primarily as a bench gun.

wolfrum,

The other two guys that posted (and corrected my error) brought up a relevant point, in that the 40x’s were only made on the shorter standard length actions. The longer calibers were available, but only as single shots. You might want to take a measurement or two before you buy the stock. Just a suggestion.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfrum1: How much work is involved in changing this repeater over to a single shot and what parts do I need?

Thanks

I put a short-action 700 in an old 40X stock, not much to that. I made a little plate that screws into the single-shot stock, and that was that. Next job was bedding, and it was done. Nice old stock, from when they could get good walnut.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14595 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Rick0311:

Point well taken, I am doing some more research on this matter. I will be buying the stock by mail order (if at all) so cannot take the measurements myself but will look into it by other means. I have contacted the Remington Custom shop for info and will then contact the seller again. Thanks for the eye opener, I guess I hadn't considered the reason behind "why" all of the long action calibers being "single shots only".

thanks

PS thanks to the rest of you for your advice on the conversion should the rest of it work out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfrum1:
Rick0311:

Point well taken, I am doing some more research on this matter. I will be buying the stock by mail order (if at all) so cannot take the measurements myself but will look into it by other means. I have contacted the Remington Custom shop for info and will then contact the seller again. Thanks for the eye opener, I guess I hadn't considered the reason behind "why" all of the long action calibers being "single shots only".

thanks

PS thanks to the rest of you for your advice on the conversion should the rest of it work out.

Just ask the guy to measure between the action screw holes. Your long action should be 7 ⅜†center to center...standard (short) is 6 ½†center to center.

posted Hide Post
Well, according to the Rem custom shop folks the 40X is built on a short action even for the long magnum calibers, so sounds like the stock is out. When my guy gets back though, I'll ask him to check it. Thanks for your help, I've learned a lot about things other than the 40X here.