Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington bolt handle
 Login/Join

posted
What do I need to be looking for to get the handle soldered back on? Any tricks I should know about? Thanks, Jim

Posts: 127 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jpretle:
What do I need to be looking for to get the handle soldered back on? Any tricks I should know about? Thanks, Jim

I ripped of my rem 700 S. Steel bold handle, trying to machine it (with a milling cutter)to make an ultraligh rifle, so I soldered again with silver solder wire (low fusion temp) only take care of putting it the same place !!! and prior to soldering it, use a good silver solder agent( flux and degreaser agent) and no too much temp. Luck!!!

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
What do I need to be looking for to get the handle soldered back on?

A gunsmith who has experience doing this work. Lacking that, pack the bolt with heat control past and use a good heat sink. Keep the heat localized and off the cocking notch. Don't over cook it. Make absolutely certain the bolt handle is positioned dead on. If it's off it's mark by the slightest amount you will have problems.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Send it back to Remington.

There are many things about which a wise man wishes to remain ignorant.

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Send it back to Remington.

That will get you more grief than its worth. Any competatnt smith will "glue" it back on for you with silver solder and you won't have to return the rifle, bolt, ad nauseum to Remington.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote