New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester model 70 and Williams Firearms parts
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I put my featherweight back together and went shooting today. I put a Williams blued extractor on it and a Williams steel triggerguard.The extractor worked perfectly and both parts complete a nice rifle. It is good that a person can get decent aftermarket parts such as this.Why wouldn't Winchester just charge a few extra bucks and put these parts on them at the factory?

Posts: 129 | Location: Kennerdell,PA | Registered: 04 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, the general consumer would rather pay a little less. Loosing in the long run.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
I got a stainless M70 extractor from William's last week... very nicely made! The woman I dealt with on the phone was VERY helpful and courteous. When I've spoken to Matt on the phone in the past he took as much time as I needed to talk. I'll tell you what, it's nice to deal with a CO. that understand's customer service and excellence... these folks are the real deal and renews my faith in "Made In The USA."

one of us
posted Hide Post
Winchester does out a Williams floorplate of a few models, one being the Supr Grade and the other with a sythetic stock, which is kind of like putting makeup on a pig.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Williams steel triggerguard

What's the difference/benefit between a Williams steel triggerguard and the factory trigger guard?

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of the model 70 bottom stuff is cast, the trigger guard being cast Aluminum. Some trigger guards are steel as they come from the factory and I had a LH stainless model 70 that came so equipped (it might have even been Williams I don't know), but the Aluminum is easy to spot. These cast Aluminum bows are prone to break or compress, and the steel upgrade, IMO, is a good idea.

Williams does a heck of a job with these parts.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Most of the model 70 bottom stuff is cast, the trigger guard being cast Aluminum. Some trigger guards are steel as they come from the factory and I had a LH stainless model 70 that came so equipped (it might have even been Williams I don't know), but the Aluminum is easy to spot. These cast Aluminum bows are prone to break or compress, and the steel upgrade, IMO, is a good idea.

Is it possible that Winchester used aluminum to conserve weight, especially in the Featherweight models? Anybody here know how much weight is added by having these parts made of steel instead of aluminum?

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
Where the big difference lies is if you purchase the entire assembly instead of just the triggerguard. If you use the assembly, then it is all one piece instead of two pieces, and the hinge for the floorplate is below the line of the assembly instead of sticking up.

About the only thing I wish Williams would do would be to make that floorplate a STRADDLE FLOORPLATE.

http://williamsfirearms.com/index.htm

Blue

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

About the only thing I wish Williams would do would be to make that floorplate a STRADDLE FLOORPLATE.

I'm going to show my ignorance, but what is a straddle floorplate? I've seen that phrase for years and never been quiet sure what was being referred to.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
belaw,

It is a floor plate that is a touch wider and in essence "straddles" the joint between the stock and the bottom metal.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nebraska,
There is very little difference between the Williams trigger guard and the Winchester trigger guard. The Williams product is made as a drop in for the model 70. There may be a difference in materials as the Winchester trigger guard is aluminum or steel and the Williams is steel or stainless.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
Belaw

I do not disagree with what Customstox has mentioned, and as he is a professional stockmaker I am sure he is correct. But what I also equate as being a straddle floorplate is when the floorplate actually wraps around (straddles) the triggerguard for some distance past the leading edge of the triggerguard. If you will look at the link I provided, and then go to the full triggerguard/floorplate assembly that williams makes, you will notice that as the floorplate gets near the triggerguard it narrows down considerably so that it is only the width of the triggerguard when it reaches the triggerguard. However, if you were to look at say a Blackburn triggerguard/floorplate, you would see that in fact the floorplate keeps it same width as it approached the triggerguard, and in fact goes beyond the edge of the triggerguard for a bit before ending. Or in other words, it straddles the triggerguard.

Another example would be a 1909 Argtentine Triggerguard/Floorplate. That floorplate gets narrow as it approaches the trigger guard, and ends at the triggerguard. I believe both Jim Wisner and Dave Talley used to manufacture a floorplate that stayed wide as it approached the triggerguard, and in fact went past, or straddled the guard.

As an example, take a look at Dressel's G/33.40 with the Blackburn guard. See how it goes past the leading edge of the trigger.

http://www.dressels.com/id454.htm

Regardless, I wish Williams would make that type of floorplate, whatever it is properly called.

Blue

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the 1 Piece bottom metal because for me it is much easier to inlet......DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info.

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen: I have a Winchester Sharpshooter that came from the custom shop with the steel trigger guard. Now....is there a way to tell if the extractor on this rifle is spring steel or MIM?

I have other Winchesters and with all the positive feedback on Williams, I guess I'll be ordering some of their products. Thanks.

Posts: 122 | Location: Halstad, MN USA | Registered: 24 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think a magnet is still the easiest way to tell.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I noticed on mine that if you looked closely small casting imperfections could be seen.

Posts: 129 | Location: Kennerdell,PA | Registered: 04 November 2003Reply With Quote