THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bansner,HillCountry,RiflesInc. bang for Buck$??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking at whats out there these days,prices range some.
RiflesInc will do you somethin good for $2000 (with your action), http://www.riflesinc.com/classic.htm
then theres $8500?#@!!! bewildered Bansner limited at the other end of spectrum.
http://www.bansnersrifle.com/anniversary_rifle.html

http://www.bansnersrifle.com/custom_rifles.html

http://www.hillcountryrifles.com/

http://www.riflesinc.com/

The Rifles Inc seems reasonable,and they include load development with rifle. In fact when you pick one up it has the load info on tag with test target,and they welcome you to come shoot their rifles to see for yourself.

Bansner-$5000
http://www.bansnersrifle.com/ultimate_one.html
Plus they charge for load development.

Lets do some math,

1350 new Borden action(already scollaped&true,repeater) http://www.6mmbr.com/actions.html
650 Hitec stock supply-fit finish
250 tube
450 chamber/thread/flute/profile.
250 surface coating of metal
300 talley custom bases+rings.
220 Muzzle brake.
250 Jewell

$3720

5-8K for A Bansner

Kinda makes ya think Brads 06 that he sold($950) good value.
Doesnt it!

One of Us
Picture of JMJ888
posted Hide Post
quote:
1100 new Borden action(already scollaped&true)
650 Hitec stock supply-fit finish
250 tube
450 chamber/thread/flute/profile.
250 surface coating of metal
300 talley custom bases+rings.
220 Muzzle brake.
250 Jewell

$3470

I have no doubt in my mind that $3-8000 spent with one of those builders will buy you an excellent rifle but I think there are other alternatives out there if you shop around.

My last project was built a bit at a time and I accumulated the components from cheaper distributors on the net. Here is something similar based off of available substitutes:

550-700 Rem 700/Win Model 70 action
150 - Truing and lapping lugs
250-450 HS Precision/McMillian stock
200-325 Match grade Barrel (Shilen, Hart, Krieger, etc.)
200-250 - Chambering
100-150 Bedding
200-300 Surface Coat Metal
100 - Talley Rings & Bases
80-190 - Timney/Canjar/Jewell

$1830 - $2615

Granted I whacked the muzzle break and the fluting but it cuts about $800-1200 off of your figure and you get a rifle that shoots as well as just about anything. Notice I am not advocating going cheap for the sake of cutting overall dollars spent but rather paying fair price for the same quality components and labor.

As far as load development goes I would rather sit down and do it myself...that is half the fun of getting a new rifle in my opinion. Not much of a hobby if someone does it for you.

Posts: 436 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 27 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What kind of scope bases do you think are on Brad's rifle there....looking for a light, removable system for a build I'm doing...

thx

Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I have a problem spending more on a boltgun than a cape buffalo hunt. I know of several 98 variations, I could buy for $200. $500 buys an awafully nice piece of 98% inletted walnut from American Custom Gunstocks. $XX for bottom metal and a blackburn trigger. $300 at McGowens gets a barrel fit, chambered and headspaced, say an 8x57, 35 Whelen, or 9.3x62 to pick a couple very useful big game cartridges. $400 for NECG three-leaf express rear and ramped front. Under $200 for Talley QD rings and bases. Another $300 does the bolt and bead blast blueing. $300 fits the acation into the stock and seals it.

Land sakes alive, is it any wonder that the CZ's in all calibers sell so well?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
comparing the "Brad rifle" with a Bansner or one of the others is an "apples to oranges" comparison in the extreme. Not really sure what you are getting at with this post anyway.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My last rifle: Early Remington m700ks shot out barrel & scratched stock-$325.00, Lilja 3grove #2 barrel $310, Carolina Precision put together $650. I really don't think you can build a mid level rifle any cheeper. Total $1,285.00, Personally I prefer a old Remington m700 trigger properly tuned to a Jewell trigger.

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW.
How bout this Stiller predator $750
HS bottom metal $250
Hart Barrel $300
Jewel Trigger $200
High Tech Stock $600
Smith $200 (if he has the reamer to put it together)

I get $2300 give or take on a custom action. I could get that price down about a grand If I did the stock work, used a Rem 700 and Rem trigger. Williams steel bottom metal. Those prices are nuts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marc_Stokeld:
comparing the "Brad rifle" with a Bansner or one of the others is an "apples to oranges" comparison in the extreme. Not really sure what you are getting at with this post anyway.

I didnt say Brads was the same rifle,just good value.
Not sure what im getting at with this post?,well its simple,Im trying to see how they come up with a $8500 price tag. $5000Bansner is a good push on price to begin with,then comes a $8500"limited".
What does a person actually get for that +3500?... veryF-Little IMO. That limited is pushing its luck to be a 5k rifle.

Just out of interests sake,in your view is a RiflesInc Classic@$2000(plus your action) and Bansner$5000 comparing apples/apples or oranges/apples?

one of us
posted Hide Post
no, Rifles, Inc and Bansner's is apples to apples. Both are custom rifles.

"Brad rifle" vs. Bansner's is a very lightly modified factory rifle vs. a full custom.

Value is in the eye of the buyer. You don't see it, so don't buy it. We could fill this board up with "A is cheaper than B, so it is better!" drivel every day until we crash the server. Won't accomplish much. Some people are happy with a $250 rifle and some require a $25,000 rifle to be happy. Other people fall somewhere in the middle. It is their business, not mine.

Maybe you really don't know the difference, maybe you do and just want to pick a fight, or maybe...? At any rate, if you are trying to pick a fight, I won't bite. Sorry.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can get a High Tech for around $200 dealer cost.They will put one on for $600. (I have several, favorite stock, great company) So what do they do that makes a Remington 700 barreled action worth $4300 more dollars. I have no problem paying for craftmeship, but come on. I can rattle off a half a dozen smiths that will build that rifle for half of that and the gun WILL shoot. I sure do not call value paying well over double something is worth. Oh well maybe I am just F-ed up

one of us
posted Hide Post
A lot of it is the size of your wallet and how pretty you want something to look to brag about.
I recently bought a barrel from a BR shooter at the range for $50. Bought a 1971 Rem 700 22-250 that had a new varmint barrel on it that shot .350 groups. I used a friends vise to take the barrel off and put the 7mm08 barrel on it. I installed it in my 1982 varmint stock since I had just put an H-S precision on my other 7mm08.
It looks great and shoots fantastic and my total investment is 500.

You don't have to pay thousands for a shooter like people lead you to believe.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rifles Inc is using customer supplied actions. These are not custom. Banser's most popular rifle is a Rem 700. They charge the same for their "custom action". So we are talking apples to apples. A trued up Rem reciever with a barrel job in a plastic stock is not worth $5000.00.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark Penrod seems to get consistent good customer feedback. on doing over M70s, but have no idea of his prices.

I also like the HillsCountry exclusive Mcmillan stock: http://www.hillcountryrifles.com/classic.asp