New
Find
Notify
Tools

Curved steel buttplates -- options?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have decided to venture out from my norm of rubber recoil pads and put a curved metal buttplate on a stock. This is a Great American 'Freischutz classic' style stock, which I think wouldn't look quite right with a pad.

I'm not really all that fond of the Neidner style checkered buttplates from Brownells -- I am using a Jerry Fisher smooth grip cap, and they seem to clash. I don't want to spend the ~$60 for the McFarland one. Are there any other options out there for this style of buttplate?

One other option is to use a repro vintage "Mauser" logo buttplate -- any thoughts on how a thin hard rubber buttplate w/ slight curve would look on that stock style?

Thanks,
Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd,

there are many many options. See http://www.singleshotrifles.com or better yet, www.trackofthewolf.com. Using a bpcr or muzzleloader buttplate you can shape many things to your needs.

Brent

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Midway sells a curved steel for under $15, I bought mine onsale for $8.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Biesens make about as classy a buttplate as you can find. Both plain and checkered. They also make a trap buttplate.

Biesen Buttplates

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sierra_Dave
posted Hide Post
Todd,

maybe email:

joy@vintagegungrips.com

Good Luck,

Posts: 82 | Location: Sierra Nevada Mountains | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I make a steel buttplate like the old McFarland buttplate.

Retail cost is 50.00

Check out Brownells, they carry a investment cast copy of the M70 butplate. A person could always remove the checkering since it is thick enough.

Jim Wisner

Posts: 1482 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bite the bullet and fit the expensive one.

I ordered and fit the Neidner "style" from Brownells and it is unfortunately cast and looks cheesy.

I personally am leaning toward the Dakota Solid Steel for my up and coming severely classic 7x57mm.

For all the cussing scraping scratching fussing inletting black everywhere mess, the price of the plate will fade quickly into the past...

Posts: 360 | Location: PA | Registered: 29 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TODD:
You mite give these guys a try
www.precisiongunstocks.com

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote