THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Anyone making a left-side, 2-pos DT style m98 safety?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone making a left-side, 2-pos DT style m98 safety?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I handled a 60's era sporter fit with this style of safety and it seemed MUCH more ergonomic, that's where one's thumb naturally falls when carrying at the ready. I looked at the usually retailers and have not found one. Apparently this was made by Dayton Traister though the new manufacture MKII's are right side mounted. Any suggestions???

Thanks

Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe Numurich (www.e-gunparts.com) has what you want. Couldn't find it with a quick look on their site, but a call should net it for you. Something to remember and there is a discussion about it only a few pages back is that the safety will be prone to "rub" off if you carry the rifle slung over your right shoulder.

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jay

I believe what you are referring to is commonly called an FN style safety. At least that is what my Sears Model 50 came with and that is on an FN action.

one of us
posted Hide Post

If its like the one above, then that is an FN safety. It works very similar to an original 98 wing safety, but only comes up about 60 degrees so it doesn't interfere with a scope.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thaine-
I searched Numrich and was unsuccessful also. They're closed today but I will follow up.

22WRF and Kurt--That is exactly what I am looking for. The couple Husky 98's that I have worked with had Buhlers as does my current FN project. Any hints on tracking such a safety down? I assume that they are out of production. I sling on my left shoulder and that, combinded with the better ergonomics, seem to argue for their use.

Beautiful piece Kurt.

Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does this type of safety lock the bolt down when on safe?

Posts: 40 | Location: northern NY | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jz:
Does this type of safety lock the bolt down when on safe?

the true FN one does. Also, on the true FN style one you have to grind out a small square notch on the shroud for the safety to stay on when it is off safety.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks 22WRF--I just contacted the seller!

Jay Kolbe

one of us
posted Hide Post
$23.50? thumbdown What a burn! !

Sports express has em fer $10.99

http://www.sporterexpress.com/v2/cgi-bin/csvread.pl?sho...0-115&mytemplate=tp2

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GSP7:
$23.50? thumbdown What a burn! !

Sports express has em fer $10.99

http://www.sporterexpress.com/v2/cgi-bin/csvread.pl?sho...0-115&mytemplate=tp2

yea, but I think he is selling the shroud and the labor to install the thing as well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The one on AA is not an FN shroud with saftey. It is an inexpensive copy that fits on any military 98 shroud. It is loosely held in place by a hook.

An original FN is high quality and is milled with a slot so that the safety slides down low into it when "off." They usually sell for about $75 when you can find one on E-Bay. I just checked my parts bin and I don't have any at this time.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hell , All I have are the original FN type on 3 rifles. The FN shroud is is notched for the lever.

Are those ones on sports express realy crap? Seems like in the picture they might work good though , unless they are just made like a piece of crap.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree. I have an original as well, that has the notch. Someone ought to make the damn things if they can be sold for $75 apiece.

one of us
posted Hide Post
GSP or anyone else---do you know if these are weldable metal or pot metal. If the fit is loose I could weld and file to tighten things up.

Also, do these lock the bolt?

How sloppy is sloppy? Hows function?

I may pick it up, get to see the safety and get another shroud to play with for $12. Handy if/when I start trying to make true side swings.

Jay Kolbe

one of us
posted Hide Post
Snowcat. All I have is 1 jc higgins m50 and 2 husqvarna 640's with the FN safety and they work OK. I did buy a Dayton transtar for a m96 thats works similar but the lever goes to the right side and I had to notch the reciever. The Dayton transtar came with a nylon plug to keep the lever from flopping around because its fit is poor/sloppy. Maybe all these after market levers are sloppy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Snowcat, I have used one like Sporterexpress is selling and they work fine. They are just not as sleek as an original FN safety.

The last Mark II safety that I bought did not lock the bolt. I don't know if it was a design change or what. I just went ahead and used it.

The Sporterexpress nodels are made out of steel if my memory is correct.

Rojelio

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote