Notify
Tools

Mauser Aftermarket Stocks??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have any of you used one of these??

Cabela's Aftermarket Wood Stocks

I have a sporterized Mauser (1909 DWM Argentine) in .257 Roberts, which I would like a (temporary) youth stock for. Sadly, cost is a factor.

I wonder how this stock would fit my sporterized Mauser?? In particular, I wonder about the cut-out for the bolt handle (custom), the (1909 standard) bottom metal and the Timney trigger. I expect some fitting work, but hopefully nothing too difficult...

I would have to expect to cut the stock to get a LOP of about 12-12.5". That would probably also mean installing a pad.

Or, would I better off with a B&C Carbelite stock at about $180?? At least with that stock I can specify LOP. But I'm not sure about the bolt handle cut etc...

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Mike, given your location you might want to look closely at the Kettner and Frankonia catalogs. I have only seen the French catalogs, not the German. I don't have a current catalog (or I would give you an exact reference) but there were two or three nice stocks for Mausers in last years Frankonia catalog, for reasonable prices.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wink, I see what you are saying. I had not considered this option, but it exists...

An unfinished stock from Richard's Microfit would be another option. With correct LOP; pad and swivels installed it is about $145-155 (plus shipping).

What is the easiest to work with (finish, fit) for a Bubba, walnut or laminated??

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
An unfinished stock from Richard's Microfit would be another option...

I would suggest you try a Cabela's stock first. I have never been satisfied with a Richard's stock, all in my experience (4 total) had inletting of receiver, barrel channel, and triggerguard out of alignment to each other. Very hard to work with; all ended up with gaps that I hated, and subsequently I got rid of them all on eBay.

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the authentic customer statement, TMG. I have noticed more than a few unhappy Richard's customers here on AR.

- mike