New
Find
Notify
Tools

How difficult is it to........
 Login/Join

<Bruce Gordon>
posted
How much of a problem is it to have several barrels for a single bolt action rifle and switch them as necessary? Is the hassle of switching out the barrel worth it?
My gunsmith is recommending this as a way to make good use of the existing rifle that he has already built for me without having to duplicate the expenses that would be the same for several rifles. Right now the rifle is a 22-250 AI, and I would like something in a 6.5-308 as a slightly heavier rifle. He says he can supply me with a barrel removal tool, a mark to line up the barrels to, and something to verify headspace.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi

I am working on this angle myself. I think the answer depends of the action you are using -- I am working with a Mauser, and from everything I've learned, it shouldn't be too difficult. That might not be the same with all actions. The other thing to consider is whether you want a true "switch barrel" that can be switched by hand in the field (more involved in this, i.e. more $$$ too), vs. one where you remove barreled action from stock, and use barrel vice / receiver wrench to change barrels.

This turns out to be economical for Mausers, with a good selection of short-chambered barrels in standard contours. Hope it works out for yours.

Good luck
Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Bruce,

We have many rifles that we use for tests here, and have several barrels for each.

Changing barrels is not that difficult, you can even do it in the back of your truck if you have the right tools.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 67260 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Several rifles are built and sold today with interchangeable barrels. Blaser and Sigarms both sell such rifles. There are also several gunsmiths that make custom rifles that can be easily changed in the field. Most are build on a Mauser type action and they use interupted threads for the quick change. The locking mechinism varies from a pen in the forestock that locks the barrel in place to a rotating pin in the bottom of the front receiver that locks the barrel from rotating. Much like the old Winchester takedowns.

The problem with all the quick change barrel systems is that when hunting "Murphy" sayes you will have the wrong barrel attached when you need to make that shot designed for the other barrel.

Good luck and good hunting,
Steve

Posts: 439 | Location: Kansas by way of Colorado and Montana | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Santalas last parpgraph hit the nail on the head....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41942 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And even if Murphy doesn't strike, Sod of Sod's Law will dictate that you will have the wrong zero for the right barrel or the right ammunition for the wrong barrel!

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote