New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sources for grip cap and forend tip material
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can you guys direct me to sources for grip cap and tip material? The stock is dark claro walnut and so I think the grip and tip will need to be almost black. I want it to look nice, but I'm not sure I'm up to working with ebony yet - maybe plastic or rubber? Any other suggestions?

Thanks much

DT

Posts: 196 | Location: NC | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ebony is sweet to work with. It's hard but fine grained and cuts well. Don't mess with plastic etc. (Buffalo Horn maybe). Brownells sells blocks of ebony -be sure and get the real Ebony and not the dyed walnut, one block will do a normal sized forend tip and a grip cap. Or even better sometimes Woodcraft or other wood suppliers will have it on sale. I bought a bag at woodcraft for $20 that had enough for 5 or 6 forend tips and dozens of grip cap inlays...............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Ebony is very nice and there is Gaboon (nigerian) Ebony which is nearly pure black, or Macassar Ebony which has streaking.

I typically sell ebony and other fine woods for forend and grip caps, but yesterday I got an orger for 10 blocks of the Nigerian and that cleans me out except for a piece I am saving for myself. You can also try Zircote or Blackwood.

The synthetics are awefull too look at!

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I get my ebony from Cook Woods, they have good Ebony.

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for advice guys. I just ordered a 1.5x1.5x12" block of Gabon ebony from Woodcraft -$30 bucks. Not cheap, but the right material isn't usually.

DT

Posts: 196 | Location: NC | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Give Gilmer wood a call. They usually have a supply of 2x2x12" coal-black Gaboon ebony turning blanks in stock. Last time I bought some they were $20 per blank. They do have a $100 order minimum though.

Posts: 1244 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
1.5x1.5x12" block of Gabon ebony

you can easily resale the rest on eBay to regain some of your money. I sell 2X2X2 blocks for ~4-6 dollars.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote