New
Find
Notify
Tools

nef handi rifle project?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
how about doing an ackley improved job on the nef handi rifle chamber? could a guy just run a reamer and go-nogo gauges? have any of you guys tried it?

Posts: 118 | Location: Lakeville, MN | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried it yet but asked a similar question a while back.
There is no reason it will not work fine with RIMMED ctg's but since the barrel cannot be set back on the handi-rifle there could be problems with rimless cases and I wouldn't try it. I'm going to do it on my 30/30 handi-rifle and I'll post the results. Also, assuming the reamer is correct (and since it's a wildcat) I wouldn't bother with the guages. Just ream the chamber and fireform.

Jon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please excuse my ignorance. What problem could be had with a rimless case?

Posts: 118 | Location: Lakeville, MN | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have done two of them. i did it this way. using a 30-30 ai finish reamer. i made a .003 washer from shim stock to fit on the reamer so the rim cut in the barrel would not be cut any deeper. that way if the headspace was right from the factory it remains so. then i set the barrel up in my lathe with a four jaw chuck to center the bore with a bushing on the muzzle end to center it in the spindle bore. cut and polish the chamber and it is done. actually took longer to make the shim and set it up than to make the cut. both turned out good with the chamber still straight with the throat.
max

Posts: 979 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Please excuse my ignorance. What problem could be had with a rimless case?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahhh. No answer. I get it now. I will be renting a reamer soon. Gee, I hope I don't "blow my head off".

b as in "B"
s as in "S"

one of us
posted Hide Post
TO directly answer your question, no, you can't just run an Ackley remaer in a Handi Rifle barrel that is chambered for a rimless round. an Ackley chamber for a rimless round has the shoulder set back from the factory (SAMMI) diemension. You have to turn the barrel back to do this. Don't know how you can do it with a Handi RIfle barrel configuration. On a rimmed round, the headspace is off the rim, making things easier.

Not really sure what your last post meant, with "b" and "s" and the other stuff.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing personal to anyone. Just trying to get a direct answer so my feeble mind can understand why. Thank you for the response.

Now the next question.

Why doesn't NEF chamber the handi rifles in belted magnum calibers?

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are fire forming wildcat cases it shouldn't matter where the shoulder is. You can fire form by seating the bullets into the rifling. As far as dies go, you can get anything you can make a cast of or a fired case. So maybe your wildcat won't be one of the tamed wildcats that RCBS has dies on the shelf for. You can pick up a used handi rifle for under $200. That's not too much for me to try it. I'll keep you posted provided I don't "blow my head off" in the process.

The b.s. reference comes from the G.L. boys.

Good Luck

Posts: 81 | Location: Up nort | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Ahh, pardon my ignorance, but what does G.L. refer to?

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a radio talk show out of St. Paul MN. hosted by a newspaper columnist Joe Soucherey (spelling?). They refer to common sense as garage logic (GL). It can be quite entertaining. 1500 on the am dial. They have a lot of fun bashing the lefties and their idiot ideas.

I think Voldamort makes a good point. However I am unschooled in the topic. I am also not a professional gunsmith who makes part of my income turning barrels back.

God bless the American Warrior!

Posts: 32 | Location: Gilbert, Mn | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OddBall2:
Why doesn't NEF chamber the handi rifles in belted magnum calibers?

The frame can't handle the pressures. A guy on another forum rechambered his to 300 Win Mag and had his frame stretch on him in just a few rounds.

Ian

A.K.A. Haywire Haywood

Posts: 294 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 09 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
oddball,
the reason the barrel has to be set back is because that is the way mr. ackley designed the rimless rounds. his parameters are such that a factory round is a crush fit in the new chamber. when a barrel is chambered with a true ackley rimless round a new "go" gauge is used. it is .003 smaller than standard "go " gauge i believe. the smaller gauge is now the go gauge and the standard go gauge becomes the no go gauge. on the nef the standard chamber is already set to the standard so the headspace is to much for the ackley from the start. you are now somewhere between an ackley and a gibbs chamber.
if you run a larger reamer into the chamber, neck up the brass to create a false shoulder or jamb the bullet into the lands to hold it back against the breech upon fire forming you will have a new cartridge. now get a set of custom dies made so you don't overwork the brass and have fun.but you do not have a true ackley chamber and "standard" fl ackley dies will move your shoulder back to much.
max

Posts: 979 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote