Find
Notify
Tools

improve accuracy on mini-30???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted
i've got a coyote hunt in the planning stage and want to use my mini-30.... it's got a simmons 22mag 3-9 scope on it... and i'm using wolf 122gr hollow point ammunition...i'm getting 10 shot 8-10" groups at 50 yds... not quite what i want... i'll be satisfied if i can get it under 2" at 50....where do i start???... i'mm willing to spend $$ reasonably, but not $3-400.. ideas??? input???... thanks..jim

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I've tried on two different Mini-30's and never got them under 3.5 inches at 100 yards. This is with quality scopes and trying a lot of different ammo. IMHO the Ruger Mini-30's/14's are long on function/reliability, short on accuracy characteristics. There is an outfit that does a lot of accuracy work on these, but it is pricey. Friend of mine has one of their re-built Mini-30's with a .308 bore and it indeed shoots. Here is a link to their site...

http://www.accuracysystemsinc.com/

I'm not a big fan of Wolf ammo so you might want to try some other commercial stuff. Winchester seemed to work the best out of the two I played with.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jack up the firing pin and put an AR under it.

Just couldnt resist. I have an number of people who ask about trying to make thier mini's shoot sub MOA and I tell them all the same thing "if you want a semi auto and sub MOA you will be money ahead to get an AR"

Yes it's cocked, and it has bullets too!!!

Posts: 582 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: 08 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i'm not asking for sub--moa..... just 2" at 50, off of a rest.....i looked at the accuracysystems website and will probably contact them monday....and ive got 4000 rds (yep 4 cases) of the wolf 7.62 x 39 122 gr hp...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Jim, you will really be better off and money ahead selling the Mini-30 and getting a good AR. Then just change uppers for different calibers.

I have a 181 series Mini-14, I looked into the site posted above. I will never spend that kind of $$ turning a Mini intop a silk purse. They are what they are. Frowner

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Hog Killer, that is exactly what I did, (AR). Conceded that I couldn't get the accuracy I wanted/expected in a Mini-either and got a flat-top Bushmaster with a s/s match barrel. It took all the drama out. The extra 400 bucks was money well spent as not only is the accuracy there but so are all the accessories. I'm not a black-rifle kind of guy as they are a complete departure from what I consider "proper". But now I have an Arsenal AK in 7.62x39 and the above described .223 Bushmaster and wonder "why didn't I just do this earlier and save myself alot of messing around?"

Posts: 3282 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately the Mini-30 is just not a design to make an accurate rifle with. You can spend a bunch of money with accuracysystems and still not have a rifle that will shoot as well as a AR that costs less. The good news is that 7.62x39 ammo is in shorter supply than it was in the past and is in demand. Your best option would be to sell your 7.62 ammo and the Mini-30 and buy a more accurate rifle. Sorry but you are sending good money after bad otherwise..................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mini's are not known for there accuracy nor is cheap Wolf ammo. Put the 2 together and I am not surprised that you are getting such bad groups. First thing to do would be try some different (read better) ammo.

Posts: 144 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The one I had would do 6-8" off the bench at 100yds. I went down the road real quick and I even made money on the deal! The guy I sold it to says "it'll drive tacks all day at a hunnert" Yeah, right! Roll Eyes

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Of course, you could keep your ammo and get an AR with a 7.62x39 "upper". Chances are the Wolf ammo would shoot sub-2 MOA from it, with the rifle "as is" right out of the box.

That aside, Mini-30's do have their uses. They are a splendid "fun" rifle, for the field loafer.

They are not a rifle for the guy who measures his fun by Mic'ing his roup sizes. They are a good piece though for a guy who likes shooting at running jackrabiits, with iron sights. They also double well for home defense purposes if ypu don't live where over-penetration is an important issue.

Not only that, but they are accurate enough with good ammo for jump-shooting deer, and I'd rather use one of those in the woods than any zippy .22 for hunting the skookum mowitch.

I have a good friend in northern Idaho who took his scope off of his, put on the irons, and uses it a lot for quick offhand shots at ground squirrels. He has a ball with it, and after a while it has beome surprising how often he hits them.

So, if you really want accuracy, I'd agree with those who suggest you not spend your money upgrading the Ruger. Get an AR instead.

On the other hand, if you just want a good, reliable, mutli-purpose, handy rifle, I'd suggest keeping the Mini-30 and shooting it enough to try to wear the barrel out. You probably can't, but you can have a heck of a lot of fun trying....

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AZ Pete
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimatcat:
i've got a coyote hunt in the planning stage and want to use my mini-30.... it's got a simmons 22mag 3-9 scope on it... and i'm using wolf 122gr hollow point ammunition...i'm getting 10 shot 8-10" groups at 50 yds... not quite what i want... i'll be satisfied if i can get it under 2" at 50....where do i start???... i'mm willing to spend $$ reasonably, but not $3-400.. ideas??? input???... thanks..jim

I have yet to see a mini-14 or mini-30 that shoots worth a hoot. Fun rifle? Yes if making noise is your fun. If you cannot hit what you are aiming at, because the rifle just is not capable of it...what is the interest in the rifle. I had rather have one of the short SKS's than a Mini-30. They are reiable and a better buy (and you can sell them, if you tire of them) Sorry guys, but my disapointment in an American product with a long history of piss poor performance is showing. It is beyond me that Ruger has chosen to ignore the inherent inaccuracy of this pos.

NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 310 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote