Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Pre-64 Model 70 Bolt Question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted
I have a 1946, transition era, 375 magnum action. I plan on turning this into a custom 375 but have plenty of time so I am doing a step at a time. I would like to have some bolt handle work done and the finished product to look like some of the custom checkered bolt handles that were on a recent thread. I'd like the handle to be at a straight 90 degrees, thinned and contoured shaft, and finally a nicely checkered knob. With that being said, the pre 64 bolts were milled out of a solid billet of steel, so it's all one piece, nothing welded. I'm no machinest, but I'd like to have someone work with the exsisting handle, heat it, straighten it, contour it, etc. That makes more sense to me than to have it cut off and then a new bolt welded in its place. I know welds are strong but I have better peace of mind knowing that the handle is integral to the bolt body.

So does anyone have an opinion or experience with this. Also, if you can recommend a good smith to heat, bend, and shape the current handle who would that be. Thanks.

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Bump, anyone?

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I told ya what to do with the damn thing!

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It would be easyer to just weld a Talley bolt knob on. If done correctly its fitted and the weld will be several passes to build up the intire depth of the stem

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not so sure I believe that Winchester bolts were completely milled out of one piece of steel. they may look like it, but I have a feeling that its silver soldered and pinned.

If you want to see some nice bolt handle work, take a look at some of the bolt handle work done by David Miller for inspiration.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Do I understand that you wish to have the bolt handle on your pre war Model 70 Winchester NOT to angle down and back as it currently does but protrude in a 180 degree plane as on military mausers?? If you will note the bolt knob is in almost perfect alignment with the trigger position and is such to facilitate speedy operating of the bolt when required. The straight bolt handle you mention does not facilitate that type of speedy and sure operation. Just curious and as mentioned, welded on bolt handles rarely give any problems you are mentioning when properly attached.
Are you sure you want to do this to a pre war Model 70 Winchester?? Might want to ask others if they have seen this type of bolt handle on a rifle of similar value.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you send me your email address I will send you a picture of a Pre 64 Model 70 rifle that Ed LaPour built with a straight bolt handle.

Posts: 251 | Location: Newport, WA | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Email to:

jfriedrichs1@mn.rr.com

Pre 64 model 70 bolts were milled from 1 piece of steel, no soldering or pinning done.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Converting to straight bolt handle will in all probablility eliminate the use of a scope will it not?? Just curious and would like to see when completed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
He is talking about having the bolt angle stragit down rather than back towards the trigger as it is currently. He is not talking about having it protrude horizontal or parrallel to the ground. Therefore it will not interfier with the scope.

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a thread from a few monthes back in which dsmith.45 showed of his M70 That Mark Penrod did. There's still some photos about half way down the page. I find the treatment that Penrod did to the bolt handle to be very attractive.

Posts: 1240 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
David I remember that thread. That is exactly what I am talking about the finished product to look like. So I wonder if he welded a new one on or worked with the old one. That is a post 64 action and somewhat different than mine, but that is how I would like it to look.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 54JNoll:
He is talking about having the bolt angle stragit down rather than back towards the trigger as it is currently. He is not talking about having it protrude horizontal or parrallel to the ground. Therefore it will not interfier with the scope.

Thanks, now I can breath a lot easier.