Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester M88 stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi all,

My nephew just inherited his dads model 88 Winchester. The gun is in decent shape but the stock is cracked in the magazine cutout area.
He'd like to hunt with this rifle again but can't find a stock. Anyone out there know of a source for blanks or finshed stocks?

Migra

Posts: 137 | Location: NE Washington | Registered: 04 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
An outfit used to re-do 88s with new stocks. You might try to goggle up "Rock River Arms" or something similar.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
MPI makes a fiberglass stock.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1632 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If all the woods there it probably can be repaired. I use a thin epoxy and heat the wood
with a hair dryer carefully not remove finish.
Then work epoxy into crack when crack will not hold any more I put non stick plastic over crack. As wood cools it pulls epoxy in. I clamp or use surgical tubing to hold it together.

kk alaska

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of take off M88 stocks , the ones with the cloverleaf tang, pre 64. If you want to purchase one snd me a PM.

Posts: 88 | Location: Riverbank CA | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry I'm so slow to reply. Thanks to all who replied. I've been busy.

Tiggertate, I googled Rock River arms and all they seem to have is AR-15s.
Scrollcutter, I can't find any thing on MPI do you have a link?A google search of MPI shows about a million hits but the only outdoor related site had nothing.

KK Alaska. The repair has been attempted previously by the original owner and it was unsuccess ful.

LJ Rivard. The take off stock sounds like a great option.Am I to understand that all your take off stocks are pre 64? I'm not sure if the rifle is or not, I'll check.

Again, thanks for the replies.

Migra

Posts: 137 | Location: NE Washington | Registered: 04 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Migra, sorry, the spyware on my office computer won't let me open your Pm. Both the 88 stocks are walnut, cut checkered pre64 types. You can tell if the 88 in question is pre64 by the shape of the tang on the recoil block behind the action. these stocks are for the block with a narrow projection to the rear. If you want one call me at 209-604-6828.

Posts: 88 | Location: Riverbank CA | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Migra, The stock splitting typically happens when someone is trying to remove the action from the stock, but mostly when trying to put the action back inside the stock.

If you do not have a Tear Down Manual, the NRA used to sell one that had the M100 and M88 in it. One of my buddies has a M100 and I gave my copy to him. If you ever decide to take it apart without one, you need to take a lot of photographs(and number them) as you do it. Quite an intricate design.

I believe his stock had a small crack in it where the Trigger went through and he repaired it with Elmer's Glue in a Needle and appropriate clamping.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote