New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Regular" vs. Stainless Receivers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I see many rifles with regular (chrome moly?) receivers with stainless barrels (e.g. Kimber varmit rifles, some Winchesters,...).

Is this done because it is cheaper or is there another reason?

I've heard of galling but don't know what it is.

Is one type preferred over the other relative to function?

Thanks for any info.

David

Posts: 301 | Location: Corvallis, Oregon | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Great questions. I would also like to know the answers.

I suspect that part of the answer is that Chrome moly actions are the only ones available from certain mfgs. Further, they are more widely available and cheaper to obtain. Moreover, I did read about supposed galling problems with SS, though I never experienced this myself. Finally, stainless steel barrels may just be more popular due to their durability and other properties.

Let's have more experience chyme in here.

one of us
posted Hide Post
When ever I replace a rifle barrel I use stainless even if the action is blued. You end up with a rifle that is more weather resisted. Not as good as a all stainless but better than a all blued one.

Posts: 19581 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just as a point of interest, i don't think i've ever had a stainless gun shoot as well as steel.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your responses.

I would prefer all stainless unless there is some other reason that chrome moly functions better with regards to accuracy, reliability, etc.

Does anyone have any more thoughts?

David

Posts: 301 | Location: Corvallis, Oregon | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote