New
Find
Notify
Tools

Talley Scope Rings for Dakota rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently purchased my first Dakota, a model 76 in .458 Win. I went to install a scope using Talley rings and discovered that they wouldn't fit the bases on the rifle. A call to Talley revealed that Talley mskes special rings for Dakota bases. They are .750" front to back while standard rings are .785. Maybe it's common knowledge but I didn't know it. I was about to mill a set of rings down to fit.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2172 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vol717:
I recently purchased my first Dakota, a model 76 in .458 Win. I went to install a scope using Talley rings and discovered that they wouldn't fit the bases on the rifle. A call to Talley revealed that Talley mskes special rings for Dakota bases. They are .750" front to back while standard rings are .785. Maybe it's common knowledge but I didn't know it. I was about to mill a set of rings down to fit.

Yup! I found this out in about 2005 when I had Mark Stratton make bases for two model 70s. He made the slots slightly undersized. Standard talleys didn’t fit! I called Talley and they sent me sets that were for Dakota (they had a D engraved on the bottom). Good stuff to know!