Find
Notify
Tools

My new/old Husqvarna 1640
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted
You guys are always showing off your rifles, so I figured I would post some pictures of a 6.5x55 Husqvarna that just arrived. As you can see, it's not all original. The front sight was broken so it and the rear sight have been removed and the barrel reblued. Also, it has been fitted with a Lapour three-position safety and a NECG trigger. Very nicely done by my gunsmith. The action was bedded in. Otherwise, I think it's original.

I took it to the range and it shoots pretty good groups at 100 yds. the only ammo I have is Winchester 140 gr. When I can get the ammo, I plan on trying some Norma 156 gr, and some Lapua 155 gr. As far as I can tell, the only problem it has is with the extractor, which doesn't hold the brass well enough to eject properly, but I think I have found a replacment extractor.

So, this is my first Husqvarna. I like it.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got one exactly like that in 8x57S, except my stock is cracked. I love these rifles and would go nuts to have one like that in 6.5 Scandahoovian. I once had a Mannlicher-Schoenauer carbine in 6.5x55 and found another, years later, for a former friend, great round, super accurate and easy to shoot.

BTW, if you have your original rear sight and it is the single rigid blade, I would like to buy it, if you have no use for it. I have a specific rifle I just got that I need one for.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I like it. The safety is a nice touch.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice, especially in six-and-a-half.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
The stock looks cool, and is slender and all, but it has been a long time since I had a rifle to my shoulder that had that much drop at the butt. Over time apparantly I have become used to the more modern style with the straight comb for alignment with the scope, so I have to adjust by raising my cheek off the stock to see through the scope properly. I can see how such a stock would be great for iron sights. The absence of a cheek piece is noticable too. It's not a big deal though.
KB

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dewey:
BTW, if you have your original rear sight and it is the single rigid blade, I would like to buy it, if you have no use for it. I have a specific rifle I just got that I need one for.

I think that sight belongs to my gunsmith now.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have watched for a lot of years on the internet and gunshows to find a Model 1640 in 6.5X55 with the steel triggerguard and haven't seen one yet! This is the first. I did finally buy a 8x57 and rebarreled it with a swedish mauser barrel... this project is currently undeway... feel fortunate that you found this one.
Aaron

Posts: 581 | Location: Cheney, KS or Africa Somewhere | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Just recently there was a nice one with steel floorplate in 9.3x62 on GB that I lusted for, but just couldn't quite justify. I think a fellow who is a regular in this forum bought it. I've ssen that he was looking for 9.3x62 reloading stuff right after the gun dissappeared off GB.

I didn't have to think too much about having the sights taken off, and reblueing, and replacing the shroud/safety and trigger. I like original stuff, but that LaPour safety and NECG trigger is a real refinement, and makes it more plesant to use IMO. I certainly have no use for iron sights, since i won't be shooting it without a scope. I didn't buy it just to look at, so being all original was not as important to me as refinment of the assembly as a whole. The gunsmith did a good job with it.

I worried about that skinny barrel, but the rifling looks good, and shined up somewhat after shooting it and flushing with some foam bore cleaner, and Hoppes. The groups were satisfactory with the Win 140 gr factory ammo, but I suspect it will do better with some Lapua or Norma ammo, with the heavy bullets.

I plan on using this rifle mostly in situations where I can avoid damage to it, such as deer stands down south. It should be a fine deer and hog rifle. I can't see taking it out on a boat around here and exposing it to salt water, and lots of rain. That's what my Ruger all-weather is for.

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
KB

Nice Gun. I too like that safety.

were those actions made in Sweden or were they made by FN?

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
This is not the FN '98 commercial action, but instead it's the small ring. It's not military at all, but the proprietary action made by Husquvarna I think. There are several differences comparing it to the standard 98 or 96 Mauser. The bolt is close but definately not interchangable. The extractor is also close but apparantly Mauser extractors will not fit. The bottom metal is not interchangable, nor is the stock inletting for the receiver. The bolt release is different, and the ejector is not cut through the locking lug. The barrel threads I think are small shank.

The Weaver scope bases I ordered are listed for the 96 Mauser. The threads in the back of the bolt for the shroud are not exactly the same as the 96 or 98 Mauser, but close enough, and as I understood it, Ed makes certain shrouds with threads that are slightly fat, so they can be lapped in, which enables the fit close enough that there is no slopp as finished by my Smith, who also said that there was some fitting required to get the NECG trigger onto the receiver properly. The trigger is for the '98 Mauser. The Smith also made a small insert to close the gap where the original safety cam through.

KB

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I love the 1640s. My wife's .30-06 is a light-weight custom built on one, and is fitted with the LaPour safety and a Timney trigger. My Alaskan rifle is an original one in .358 Norma to which a LaPour Safety and Timney trigger were also added. The 1640s are nice light accurate rifles.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3835 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Nice gun. It has a boatload of cool factor!

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote