New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Action?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm going to start collecting parts for a medium duty stainless rifle, probably in 260 Rem. It seems to give about the same ballistics and performance as the 6.5x55 Swede I'm particularly fond of.

So what is the best action to start with, for the money? Suggested sources??

The rifle will probably end up with a 24" barrel, and I'm trying to get sub 3/4" five-shot groups.... true bench-rest accuracy would be nice, but I'd be happy at 3/4", ecstatic at 1/2", and out of my mind below that.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I built my .260 Rem on a post 64 push feed M-70 with a featherweight barrel XX grade from Douglas....it's a fine gun.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
handsdown, short action, favorite action

1936 mexican mauser small ring 98

the best, there are many imitators, and the winchester comes closest

jeffe

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am still a M70 fan but the old ones were not short actions. The new M70's are really pretty good. My idea of a custom rifle is to buy a factory rifle and manage it by exception. I do what I can, deal with warrantee work and if necessary send it down gun show lane and try another. This is fun for me and easy on the money as well.

You may have read that I bought a couple of Kimber 84M's. One is a 260 Rem. This rifle is the most accurate sporter than I have ever owned. Right from the first shot fired it has been in the 1/4 MOA to 1/2 MOA area. This means that two to three shots at one hundred yards make one hole and it's at 1/2" group at 200 yds.

As to the fourth and fifth shot I can't promise anything.

The other one is a 7-08 and it turns out is an older one as the sn is 25XX. This rifle was shooting small groups with maybe an average of 3/4 MOA until I took the 3-9 Conquest off of it and put on a new VX11 2-7. About then it fell apart and became a MOA rifle. I have not fired either of these rifles more than about fifty shots.

The 260 weighs 5 lb 11 oz without the mounts. All up with the Conquest it goes a ounce under seven pounds. This rifle got me to where I wanted to be for only $800. If it needed any more work I would tweek it or maybe send it out. You get a baby Mauser action, free floated air gaged barrel, match chamber, crf, pillar bedding, glass bedding as well crisp adjustable trigger, 20 LPI no border checkering, Claro walnut, Decelerator pad and the look really nice as well.

They are available with 24" barrels also. The twist in the 260's are 1-9".

www.kimberamerica.com/84M.php

If one wanted a composite stock they make the Montana model with SS but it goes only 5 lb 3 oz and you said you wanted a medium sized rifle.

Send me a PM if you want more details.

The action ring diameters on Winchester and Remington rifles are about 1.3" and the Kimbers are 1.1". I really don't think one needs such a heavy action for these neat little cartridges.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the ideas so far...

I've done a little web cruising, and I think that '33 Mexican Mausers are made of unobtainium! Closest I came was a 1910.

The Kimber is a nice looking machine, isn't it? Hadn't really thought of that.

Of course, the idea of asking around is to find alternatives that you haven't thought about. I've wondered about buying a Sako action (spendy, but nice), and I've wondered about just rebarreling a Remington. Now I wonder about starting with a Yugo M48. Then there are days that a little voice says that I don't have time for such foolishness, and should just spend the money on a nice, complete rifle. Of course, the Kimber would obviously be an interesting possibility in that case.

I've lugged my favorite old Swede around, and it has that 29" barrel. I think that if I got something that was 7 pounds with scope, I'd see a deer, and think that I had left my rifle back at the truck....

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Thanks for the ideas so far...

I've done a little web cruising, and I think that '33 Mexican Mausers are made of unobtainium!

HA!

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
unobtainium!!! and that's what I thought my middle school sweetheart's bra was made of!!!

Nah, just keep looking... these little jews are work it

jeffe

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can usually find a "beater" Sako L579 .308 or .243 at a gunshow from which you can salvage an action that likely needs only a barrel and a stock (and selling the used Sako barrel and stock will pay for part of that). That's about as nice an action as you can find, and by the time you did all of the modifications to a military Mauser (new trigger, safety, bolt handle, bluing, floorplate, drill, tap, ad infinitem), the Sako will probably be cheaper.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Medium length stainless MRC action, if they ever deliver and it's up to snuff. Mine's been on order for a year now. Otherwise, a Sako L-57 or 579, stainless medium M-70 classic, or the Mexican if you can find a good one.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know that I'll be in the minority with this one, but I really like the Ruger Mark 1 (tang safety) action. The guns can be had for a good price, have an adjustable trigger, and, from what I've seen, are accurate (2 - 243s and a 25-06 in my family, all are one hole, 3 shot groups). Tough to beat for the price as far as I'm concerned. With a premium barrel, I think it would make a great rig. I'm in the planning stages of customizing a 270 I just picked up and converting it to a 338-06 or 35 Whelen. Have no doubts it will shoot.

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mel Forbes of New Ultra Light Arms is now selling his actions. Retail is around $675.00. That would be the ticket and to my knowledge, he has not here-to-fore sold them, other than as a completed rifle. Also, a Kimber 84M would be a nice choice.

Jordan

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote