Find
Notify
Tools

Rebluing and stock refinishing costs and time
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello,

After many years I feel like a small boy again as I just got my paperwork completed and bought a German made guild Mauser rifle in 8x57JS (the largest caliber I could take back with me to India just in case they reverse the caliber restrictions there) with two leaf express sights and a nice and racy schnabel tipped half stock. I shall be picking it up at Gander Mountain tomorrow and I wanted to get the rifle reblued (there is some minor blue damage near the rear sights)and also get the stock refinished.

I asked Gander Mountain and they told me that it would take them 6 weeks to get this done and they wanted US$ 150 to reblue the rifle and US$ 80 to refinish the stock. Are these times typical and are the costs OK? Any suggestions would be most welcome as I am currently in Appleton, Wisconsin and if anyone could suggest anyone else in this area, if they have any personal experience, that would also be nice. I don't mind paying this amount to Gander Mountain as their service has been courteous and prompt so far but I just wondered about the time that they were talking about.

Thanks for the advice in advance and good hunting!

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
The cost and times seem pretty reasonable to me. I havent seen examples of their work first hand but I would imagine that they provide excellent finish work.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Prices seems backwards, but reasonable

jeffe

Posts: 38594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote