THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Push Feed - true short action?
 Login/Join

<Hondo64d>
posted
I have been lusting after a Winchester Coyote, and while fondling one yesterday (.243 cal), I noticed that there appeared to be a spacer in the magazine box. This leads me to the above question. Are the Winchester push-feed actions a short action, or a long action with a magazine spacer? The CRF models ARE truly shorter than their long action counterparts, but with the push feed model, I had nothing to make the comparison to.

Thanks,

John

<Zulu Mike>
posted
I just went and measured my 308 CRF and my 243 PF they are both 5 7/8" from the back of the rear receiver ring to the front of the front ring on the right hand side. My 243 is the "lightweight" model and was made in the late 80's however. I hope this helps.

one of us
posted Hide Post
. . . short, but longer than the Remington 700 short or "medium" Sako L579.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The short action Model 70,whether push or controlled feed has a mag box length of about 3.10" with the block removed.Remington,Howa and Sako short action mag boxes are about 2.80.This is why the M70 short is such a great action for those cartridges that are a bit too long for a short action,like the 257 Roberts,the 6.5x55,the 284 Win etc.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Hondo64d>
posted
Thanks for the replies. I have since got to look at an old M70 pushfeed long action and the Coyote definitely has a shorter action. I have pretty much reconsidered on the Coyote. I have yet to read a positive word about them. It's a crying shame, because i really liked the way they look and feel.

John