New
Find
Notify
Tools

Springfield Sporters, Faux?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ok, I'm talking about Springfield '03A3s that have been sporterized, not the original ones. I am a 700 for accuracy and a mauser for nostalgia man. Lately I have run across several sporterized, one step above Bubba, springfields. These are well used, but not junk. They seem to be avaliable for under $200. This is lower than a compareable Mauser in my area, and also in a more avaliable caliber. Many have cheap scopes w/mounts and rings. Others have Lyman/redfield &etc sights. What about the price? How do these compare as a shooter to the Mausers? I know that they are a copy. Are there any things that I should watch out for? Thanks capt david

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
03a3's are not a copy but a later model. there is nothing wrong with them, people consider them less desireable than the 03's because they are not as finely finished. They are not the double heat treat either that are the most sought after of the 03's. But they are properly heat treated and function well. If you are looking for a high end sporter you are looking at more money. The 03a3 had stamped bottom metal as opposed to the milled bottom metal of the 03'. Also the bolt body was not as finely finished and had "steps" in it. I don't have pics offhand that I can post to illustrate what I am talking about, but I am sure that Idared or somebody does.

They will shoot as well as they are smithed to shoot. sometimes you will have a bolt that is a bit loose in the action, but it shouldn't matter. I have 3 1903's (one is double heat treat, one is just an action waiting for a dream) and on 03a3, the 03a3 is currently in a cocoon from which it will emerge a beautiful 416 Taylor. I also think that the rear bridge on the 03a3 is higher due to the sight setup than the bridge on the 03'. The bolt stop area is a bit different too, the groove between stops is missing for one thing.

some of the guys here know much more than I do about all this and I am sure will help out. Some will tell you the 03a3's are not worth the time, I disagree, in the scheme of things for a full blown sporter you are talking about a hundred dollar difference probably (that is what I paid for an 03 bolt and bottom metal to replace the ugly ones that came with my 03a3).

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm just looking for 'deals' on sporters I can shoot or loan. thanks capt david

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
The prices on sporterized springfields seems to be all over the place. Some shops think they are made of gold whild others sell them cheap. Here's a Smith Corona 03a3 in a fagen stock I bought last year for $175.

And a Remington 03a3 in a fagen stock with 03 bottom metal and a dayton triaster trigger that I bought a few weeks back for $200.

Good shooting,
Weagle

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To All:
Sporters on the 1903 (not A3) run the gambit from $100-Moon with every stop along the way. Each and everyone has to be evaluated on it own merit, some of the plainest with no engraving no frills can be the higher priced ones. Personally the early pre-WWI ones with no name are the ones I am looking for. Workmanship stands out with or without a makers name on the rifle. From 1909-1940 there were a number of gunsmiths who made some fine sporting rifles on the 1903, most had names no one today will reconize. When you have found something interesting and think I could help, just ask. Write me at mjpetrov@acsalaska.net I still have a lot to learn about these makers but with help from folks like you it makes it easier.

MP (Michael Petrov)

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
David,
ANY springfield (full action up) that appears to be in shootable condition is worth a pair of c-notes. ANY....

Now, a crawfish hole barrel on a fine action is a "here's 50 bucks, and I'll send it to unka jeffe"... of course, that rifle is on the same table as 1/2 a dozen untouch perfect 1936 mexican mausers, that you have already put in a box to unka jeffe!!

I've got two loaner... no, let me restate that... Jana has a loaner 708 on a mexican, and I have a loaner 30-06 on a more or less full mil 1903a3... that got bubbaed and then I got it at a gunshow....

that 1903, like nearly every one i've shot, is better than 2 moa, and my 358win, my 257rob, and my 300 win are all better than 1 moa...

so, if you stumble over a 1/ arsed bubba's custom, for 2 bills or under, pick it up, stop and grab a box of acragel, bedded it, and go shooting!!!

jeffe

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
"Personally the early pre-WWI ones with no name are the ones I am looking for. Workmanship stands out with or without a makers name on the rifle."

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Early in the 1960s when the supply of real M1903 and M1903A3 receivers dried up, there were a lot of surplus "other" parts that could be used up. Many companies went into business machining or casting receivers and combined them with military surplus barrels, etc. These were typically in a "sporter" configuration. I'll leave it up to you to imagine as to how much of a sporter they were and what tools they might have used to do it with.

I had one of these years ago and it was barely O.K. I bought it from Montgomery Wards (now defunct).

My advice to you is to look on the receiver ring and see who manufactured the receiver. If it is really an arsenal issue or Winchester or Remington, then look favorably on it, especially if it is not a "low-numbered" receiver. If there is an odd-ball name on the receiver, pass it by. Some may have been made by the Rock Island Arsenal (now defunct), and some by now strange "real" manufacturers like Remington Rand. Many, including mine, were made by outfits whose lifespan must have been measured in months.

I am not a M1903 officianado, so you gotta know your stuff to make the right decision.

Posts: 305 | Location: Indian Territory | Registered: 21 April 2003Reply With Quote