THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1 piece scope base improving action rigidity?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi, I've heard that a 1 piece scope base can improve rigidity; could it apply to a Rem 700 action? Could it improve accuracy over a 2 piece base? Thanks.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have heard that claim as well, but I firmly believe it is a myth. I personally prefer 2-piece bases because they interfere less with the loading port of the action. Quite apart from the fact I don't much care for the looks of one-piece bases.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildboar:
Hi, I've heard that a 1 piece scope base can improve rigidity; could it apply to a Rem 700 action? Could it improve accuracy over a 2 piece base? Thanks.

I'm certainly not a mechanical engineer, I will let Chic speak to the science of it, but I do know that solid top receivers flex and stretch less than those that aren't. Granted, a 1 piece base held by 3 small screws might not contribute a whole hell of a lot to a receivers rigidity, but I'm thinking, until convinced otherwise, that it should provide some additional support over a two piece base.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chic is a Sewage Engineer (Civil), I am a mechanical engineer. rotflmo

On paper you cna make the case that it is marginally more rigid. A lot would depend on the action. Something like a solid bottom 40X would likely as not see no rea rigidity increase. On a Mauser with full thumb cut, well, a little more impact, but if you are depending on the scope base to actually make a real difference then you are screwed.

Also, unless all three of the scope base holes are in alignment (they won't be) and the action holes are in alignment (they won't be) then you could add a torsional force to the action. This would be anti-good.

This is one of those little things that gun writers hear and then start spouting off like they know what they are talking about. Yes, it is true that the base makes it more rigid. The rest of the story is that it is a trivial amount, and the shooter is the problem.

Man, some of those true BR actions are rigid in spades! Cuts just large enough for feeding and extracting.

People chase things, trying to buy small groups. THe OVERWHELMING factor in how small the group turns out is what your second flag is doing right when you touch the trigger. Loading and shooting technique are non-trivial and more than theoretical influences on your group size. Changing soemthing little here and soemthing little there will not help. The differences are so small as to be lost in the scatter. But true BR techniques can really help

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marc_Stokeld:

This is one of those little things that gun writers hear and then start spouting off like they know what they are talking about. Yes, it is true that the base makes it more rigid. The rest of the story is that it is a trivial amount, and the shooter is the problem.

I look down on gun writer's technical canards.
But Ackley and de Haas are approved by this engineer.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
THe OVERWHELMING factor in how small the group turns out is what your second flag is doing right when you touch the trigger.

Another good way is checking the angle of the mirage.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do know for a fact that those one-piece bases are a pain in the ass when you have to reload fast. I'll never have another one on a rifle.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The weakest part of the scope mounting process is the screws. Two piece bases have four screws holding them, one piece bases have three. To me that means the two piece bases are the stronger setup. I don't buy the argument that that a metal strap across the top of the receiver is going to add any rigidity to an action which is essentially a pipe. Plus, one piece bases are ugly and they obstruct the loading port as mentioned above.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boltman:
..one piece bases are ugly and they obstruct the loading port as mentioned above.

But a one piece MIGHT prevent Bubba from lapping a pair of rings when lapping for alignment.
Anything that prevents gunsmith lap dance ring wrecking is a good.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call David Miller and ask him if he has done any testing with his. He makes a custom one piece base with integral rings for every custom rifle he sells. The receiver and the base are custom honed so they fit perfectly, and I believe he uses three screws forward and three back although I am not sure.

I doubt very much that he would go to all of that trouble and I doubt very much that his customers would pay about $1500 for this set up unless there were some mechanical advantage to it. In addition, he fits these so that they do not have an impact on the loading port.

As for doing anything to avoid ring lapping, there is one sure fire way to avoid that, which is to use the Burris Signature Rings with the plastic inserts.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use mostly one piece bases, but to be able keep the rings in alignment if I use a shim to gain more scope adjustment. As others have said, adding to rigidity of the action is not paramount.

If a day goes by when you don't learn something - it was a Total Loss!

Posts: 324 | Location: SE Wyoming | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
It is to my understanding that unless your action is a rear locking type such as the old Rem. 788 then you really don't realize any strength advantage from the one piece bases. Front locking receivers and bolts apply all the stress to the front ring of the action. Unless your action is not bedded properly it won't flex in the middle and any advantage derived from the one piece base is negligible. That's my theory and I can be educated to see things in a different light. coffee

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.
NRA Life Member, December 2009

Politicians should wear Nascar Driver's jump suites so we can tell who their corporate sponsers are!

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For one thing, i doubt if David Miller has made and run an FEA model of the M70 with his mount attached. Even if he has, it is only showing any gains that will be there on paper. As stated in my first response, a one piece base WILL add strength and rigidity on paper. As also stated in my first post, it will not show up as any improvement on a field rifle.

There are calcs for this run in the book "Rifle Accuracy Facts." H.R. Vaughn actually gave it the wrong book title. It would be more accurate to read "Rifle Accuracy My Opinions." Now granted, that man knows A LOT more than I do abou tmany things, but that does not mean everything in his book is rock solid.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A precise well engineered&fitted one piece bridge base&ring setup like Dave Millers(which also supports the tube) does allow more rigidity in the mounting system and would certainly offer you less chance of knocking the scope out of alignment or bending the tube, compared to an off the shelf system. BUt I would say that is its major advantage, more so than offering any great improvement in accuracy by way of improving action rigidity.
None the less, what ever actual degree of increased action rigidity the Millers sytem offers, it would certainly be superior to any degree of increased rigidity/stability one would get from an typical off the shelf system.
To get the best of both worlds one should really get one block of steel and machine the action,bridge base and rings all in one integral piece ie; imagine a D.miller rifle where the mount is not joined on, but rather molecularly one with the action.

Heres an action that goes part of the way, integral rings,but no tube supporting web.
I prefer it to the current D.Miller method.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Wildboar,

If you are seriously looking to increase the rigidity of the action through the use of a 1 piece scope mount, then this is the baby I would recommend!

Of course the action will require about $200.00 worth of modification so the "lugged" rail will fit.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those mount screws are not there in high frequency vibration. [Watch something with a strobe when it is being vibrated perpendicular to the screws]

If the one piece is bonded to the receiver with epoxy, and has not been popped off, but is still stuck, then THAT IS there at high frequency and would make the receiver stiffer, a little.

But I cannot imagine that tiny increase in stiffness translating to a measurable increase in accuracy.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also, unless all three of the scope base holes are in alignment (they won't be) and the action holes are in alignment (they won't be) then you could add a torsional force to the action. This would be anti-good.

That's where the 1/8th low hydrogen rod comes to play. And be sure to burn the puddle well into the receiver rings; just to the bottom of the threads on the front ring. Quench rapidly in cold water to restore some hardness, screw the barrel back in and you're good to go.

And that's MR. bubba, thank you.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
quote:

That's where the 1/8th low hydrogen rod comes to play. And be sure to burn the puddle well into the receiver rings; just to the bottom of the threads on the front ring. Quench rapidly in cold water to restore some hardness, screw the barrel back in and you're good to go.

A welder by trade I wonder why not use parent metal to weld with? Don't forget to pre-heat and be carful with any quench (oil or water) your palaying with some complicated metalurgy with unknown temperatures. Also remember to normalize after you weld.

As far as a one piece base making an action stiff or strong....it is a bolt on part with small screws....I would say myth. Just a guess though.

And that's MR. bubba, thank you.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the 1930s Ralph Packard had a rifle built with the scope tube integral with the receiver. It was written up in the Am. Rifleman and later was in the Smithsonian, I guess it is still there. There is also the Lloyd mount, somewhat similar to Miller's, which one occasionally sees on British rifles. I don't think any one piece mount, Miller, Lloyd or Redfield Jr., adds any useful rigidity to a receiver .. but that is just my opinion.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CZ has integral scope bases and look how good that is working for them. Search here and find how many of the magnums shoot too low with all scope or iron site adjustment used up. Now in something like the custom BR actions it would be fine, but not in a mass produced arm.

Personally, I like tigger's idea of running a 7018 around the base/reciever joint!

One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
All the stress on the action on battery is in the bolt locking lugs..... All the stress is therefore transmitted to the receiver at the point of bolt lock up.... What stress is put upon the back or free portion of the action? None... I suppose a person could make the action totally closed like BOOM naval guns and feed thru the back with the bolt removed ya think? If anything a solid one piece base would contribute would be to keep the scope stabile.coffee

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.
NRA Life Member, December 2009

Politicians should wear Nascar Driver's jump suites so we can tell who their corporate sponsers are!

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll echo the opinion of mechanical engineer Marc, not only because I'm an ME too, but because he's right.

A one-piece base will make any action stiffer, period. The magnitude, and effect, of this increase in stiffness depends on many factors. In practice though, I would be very surprised to achieve a measurable improvement in accuracy in a human-fired field rifle.

In a laboratory, with a special "rifle" that likely wouldn't resemble anything of the sort, you may be able to measure a change in accuracy....interesting to know, but totally useless in the field. If you really want a stiffer action, all you have to do is get one.

With all this said, I would find the results of an FEA study on the matter to be very interesting.

Posts: 43 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 12 November 2007Reply With Quote