New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best firearms lubricating oils
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Curious to know what folks think to be the best lubricating oils for firearms?

I use Rem Oil mostly but, have heard others recommend a variety of products such as ...WD40, Kroil, Rusty Duck, 3 in 1, Marvel, ATF and even Sperm Whale Oil! Don't know where the heck one would find any sperm whale oil!

I remember that Jack Belk highly recommended ATF....

Is there a 'best' or at least 'better' choice regarding oils...?

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The application dictates what lube is required.
I find the very best for the application. For lugs and cocking pieces, I use grease sold by Brownell's and others. For trigger mating surfaces, I use a molly paste. Weather (temperature) also plays into the selection. In cold weather, I remove all oil from the bolt innards leaving it dry.
My point is to look at each lube point and select wisely.
Don

One of Us
Picture of Steel Slinger
posted Hide Post
I usually use Rem oil spray. If you live in dusty conditions though, I would recommend the Rem oil dry lube. It's surprisingly slick, and doesn't collect dust and get gunked up. I used it exclusively in Iraq, and had to clean my weapon a lot less than other guys.

FiSTers... Running is useless.

Posts: 315 | Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bigbore50ak
posted Hide Post
ive been using lucas gun oil.they had at the international dealership so i thought id try it.dont no how it competes with others but works for me

Posts: 142 | Location: indiana | Registered: 24 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
I've been using Dexron III ATF for general purpose oiling for years, but I've switched to ISO 22 spindle oil. (A light machine lubricant, about halfway between SAE 5 & 10 viscosity, nondetergent with oxidation and corrosion inhibitors.) A bit thinner than ATF, which is about ISO 34 viscosity (roughly SAE 10.) Like this:
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INSRAR2&PMAKA=505-1994&PMPXNO=944170
Pretty much the same stuff as most gun oils, actually.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MilTech is hard to beat for a good all around great weapon lube. That’s the hot-ticket stuff being used by our troops in Iraq...and about the only one that can withstand those harsh, dusty, and sandy environments and not turn into an abrasive paste after a hour or two in a sand storm.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick 0311:
MilTech is hard to beat for a good all around great weapon lube. That’s the hot-ticket stuff being used by our troops in Iraq...and about the only one that can withstand those harsh, dusty, and sandy environments and not turn into an abrasive paste after a hour or two in a sand storm.

Who in Australia sells Mltec ??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steel Slinger
posted Hide Post
Rick,
Is your son using that stuff? Is it issued to him?? Reason I ask is b/c I've never heard of it, and most troops are still using the regular old CLP.

Posts: 315 | Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steel Slinger:
Rick,
Is your son using that stuff? Is it issued to him?? Reason I ask is b/c I've never heard of it, and most troops are still using the regular old CLP.

Steel Slinger,

Yes he is, and he and his guys LOVE it. The first batch I bought for him, but then they just started ordering it direct from MilTech. Believe it or not, but that company will send it free to our troops if they order it from them, and it goes to an APO or FPO.

I bought a bunch for myself and really like it allot.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PC:
quote:

Who in Australia sells Mltec ??

I have no idea, brother...but you should be able to buy it online directly from MilTech, and I know Brownells carries it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, guys...not only am I getting old, I can’t spell either!

It’s MILITEC...NOT, Miltech!!!!!

Here’s the website:

http://www.militec.com/

One of Us
Picture of Steel Slinger
posted Hide Post
Think I'm gonna have to get some of that and try it out myself. Thanks for the link.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Militec oil and Mil-Comm TW-25B grease professionally on all weapon systems.

In harsh wet conditions on multiday hunts, I use Eezox on my personal firearms but prefer to use the Mil-Com anywhere you would use grease. Eezox is superior to Militec to prevent corrosion and Mil-Com TW-25B grease is superior to anything out there (though it is very expensive).

Gary

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never tried Eezox or Mil-Com...but Militec also makes a grease that works really well on camming areas and locking lugs.

one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
For inside the barrel, I use Butch's Gun Oil. For everywhere else, I use Prolix. Can't over apply it and doesn't seem to attract dirt or grime.

Kory

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kory:
For inside the barrel, I use Butch's Gun Oil. For everywhere else, I use Prolix. Can't over apply it and doesn't seem to attract dirt or grime.

Kory

Just a silly question... but what do you mean when you say you “can’t over apply it?â€

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DavidC:
Curious to know what folks think to be the best lubricating oils for firearms?

I use Rem Oil mostly but, have heard others recommend a variety of products such as ...WD40, Kroil, Rusty Duck, 3 in 1, Marvel, ATF and even Sperm Whale Oil! Don't know where the heck one would find any sperm whale oil!

I remember that Jack Belk highly recommended ATF....

Is there a 'best' or at least 'better' choice regarding oils...?

Regards,
Dave

Sperm Whale oil isn’t what those with a dirty mind might think at first!

It was of course used for lamp oil and fine machinery oil way back when...and later on it was even used in the first ATF’s. When killing those whales went out of favor it was replaced by synthetic oils and that is why ATF is still a really good lubricant.

ATF is NOT however, real good for protection on firearms subject to dust and sand, because your rifle doesn’t have a filtration system attached to it like a transmission does. ATF is designed to attract and hold onto foreign particles so they can be carried away and filtered out of the fluid. That quality makes it great in an enclosed system where the fluid has to pass through a filter that will trap the particles and keep them out of the system...but on a firearm that plus quickly turns into a minus when the ATF holds onto dust and sand that then becomes an very efficient abrasive mixture.

one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Kory

Just a silly question... but what do you mean when you say you “can’t over apply it?â€

Hi Rick,

I assume you understand what I mean when I say "you can use too much oil"? Well, Prolix has a very thin consistancy -- almost like water or even alcohol. In one way, it doesn't cling to things like oil does, but it feels like a dry lubricant. Their marketting specs say it bonds at the molecular level -- I don't know whether that is BS or not, but I've dribbled it in the trigger area, raceways, etc and after a while, the liquid seems to evaporate, but the lubricating properties still remain. You should try some. Order a small bottle from GNC Sales (the owner will send you bottle the day you order it and you can send the check later) and see for yourself. If you don't like it, I'll buy it from you.

The mfg tries to market it as a solvent, but it doesn't remove copper or a lot of lead. Sometimes I use it as a solvent on my rimfires if they are not too dirty, but mostly I use it for it its lubricating properties. I also use it as a general purpose oil for around the house too (squeeky hinges, bicycle bearings, etc). The fact taht it doesn't attract dirt makes it nice.

Regards,
Kory

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Militec oil and grease work great, and they
really support our troops.
Good Stuff!
Charlie

Posts: 165 | Location: unit 10 Colorado | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kory,

I wasn’t trying to be a smart ass...just couldn’t visualize what you meant.

I’ll pick some up and give it a try.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hysider:
The Militec oil and grease work great, and they
really support our troops.
Good Stuff!
Charlie

Charlie...that alone, in my view is enough to make me push their product. The fact that it works as good as it does, makes it even better!

As a parent with a son over there,I can assure you that any company that hands out free stuff to our guys is top rate in my book and has earned my business to help them defray the cost of what they are doing for our troops.

one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
FP10. Sold as a CLP, but I use it to lube. Slick stuff even when it drys. Smells like cinnimon. Hell a drop or two behind the ears and the wife/significant other might come a calling.

I use Tetra when a dab of grease is called for.

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is always a good post, almost as good as which caliber is best!
My views on gun lube vary with the conditions and temperature I will be hunting in.

In general I will say that I don't use much lubrication on any gun. After a good cleaning and degreasing the metal is sqeaky clean and gray in color. This is the way I prepare my guns for hunting and only use enough oil to return the gun metal to its original blued state. Usually only a soft cloth dampened with a few drops of oil is enough. I hope nobody gets the impression that this is for lubrication, it is only for corrosion resistance, that is all that is required. I try to avoid any surface buildup of lubricants since this is counterproductive serving only to attract dirt and debris which will eventually lead to failure. The colder the temperatures the more I adhere to this method. Also the more complicated the mechanism the more should this procedure be adhered to. With the advent of stainless actions there should be no fear of failure from corrosion. A few years ago I did a test to verify various oils flows at low temperatures and was astounded how they turned into mollases when the temp dropped. Keep it thin and avoid problems, that is what I have been doing ever since.
bigbull

Posts: 403 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
quote:
Kory,

Hi Rick,

I didn't think you were being a smart ass and I hope my reply didn't imply that. I have a hard time describing things sometimes. All I was trying to say is that "no harm will be done if you apply too much."

Regards,
Kory

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Kory,

Hi Rick,

I didn't think you were being a smart ass and I hope my reply didn't imply that. I have a hard time describing things sometimes. All I was trying to say is that "no harm will be done if you apply too much."

Regards,
Kory

Kory,

Don’t feel bad...I continually find that I don’t understand most things, no matter how well they are explained! Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
another thing about militec is that it relly smooths out a trigger pull. good stuff

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I use militec on my double rifle. Good stuff!
Also, I use their grease on the hinge pin.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote