New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger M77 floor plate sticking
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a stainless steel Ruger M77 in .375 Ruger. The floor plate sticks and won’t release when I press the release on the front of the trigger guard. Could someone send me a picture of the part/parts I would need to polish to get it to release. Or any other fix for that matter.

Posts: 48 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: 08 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before you file the floorplate, be sure to check the fit of the magazine box to both the front of the floorplate and to the trigger guard. These parts have to click together just right or the floorplate will bind. I had one that did this and that was the fix.

A good job is sometimes just a series of expertly fixed fark-ups.
Let's see.... is it 20 years experience or is it 1 years experience 20 times?
And I will have you know that I am not an old fart. I am a curmudgeon. A curmudgeon is an old fart with an extensive vocabulary and a really bad attitude.

Posts: 324 | Location: Too far north and 50 years too late | Registered: 02 February 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Before you file the floorplate, be sure to check the fit of the magazine box to both the front of the floorplate and to the trigger guard. These parts have to click together just right or the floorplate will bind. I

tu2

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
The floor plates in the M77 are adjustable just as they are in the model 70 Winchester. Loosen the tang screws a bit and force the trigger guard and floor plate arrays apart and retighten the screws. You should be able to set the wink between the two parts to the point that the floor plate will blow open under recoil or to where you need a tire iron to pry the floor plate open.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
The floor plates in the M77 are adjustable just as they are in the model 70 Winchester. Loosen the tang screws a bit and force the trigger guard and floor plate arrays apart and retighten the screws. You should be able to set the wink between the two parts to the point that the floor plate will blow open under recoil or to where you need a tire iron to pry the floor plate open.

tu2

Sorry that is the way we should have explained it. Seems we take way to much for granted and ASSUME we are talking on the same level.

Thanks Speer.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. It currently seems to be set more towards the 'tire iron' side of the scale. I have had to wedge it open before to look at the problem.

I will look at it tonight and see if if works. Appreciate the help.

Posts: 48 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: 08 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:

Sorry that is the way we should have explained it. Seems we take way to much for granted and ASSUME we are talking on the same level.

Thanks Speer.

I've had enough apprentices over the last 35 years to give me grey hair. And they did. Whats left of it anyway. But it did make me a real good egg-schplainer !

coffee he he he

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I can't remember if the stainless 77 has an aluminum TG; if it is be really careful as they are easily cracked.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was taught and have always stood by the theory that the mid guard screw on the Ruger M77s, Winchester model 70s and the Remington ADL series should never be tightened more than snug. The thought is that over tightening it will bow the action slightly and can also lead to stock splitting. For what it's worth I have always tightened them to snug and just so that the magazine functions were correct and froze them with blue Loctite.

My trick with the model 70s and 77s has always been to double over a business card and close it between the face of the trigger guard and floor plate. Then tighten the guard screws. 80% of the time the wink created is just about bang on.

Rod Henrickson