Find
Notify
Tools

In Need of a Reasonable Re-blue Option
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted
I have a rusty push feed Model 70 that I'm trying to put back into service. I'm looking for reasonably priced options to re-blue or coat the metal. Thanks in advance for all your ideas.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
All depends ... What caliber? How is the stock? If it was a nice cool caliber (read classic African caliber like 7X57 or 375 HH) I'd rust blue it and do up the stock. It would be good fun to do it by yourself.

If it is a mundane 22-250 or a 270 etc., I'd just do a low cost finish.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are all crooks, liars, cheats and thieves.
Spray paint it yourself...

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1794 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I'd get a basic bead blasted hot blue finish. Around $100 or maybe less.

Or the cheap option get a can of spray paint.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDH:

This is a test to prove or disprove my thesis.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IT&D Gunsmithing has done nice bead blast blue in the past for me reasonable and fast.

kk alaska

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Black T and be done forever

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think even a lowly push-feed M70 deserves a decent blue job. The bead blast blue is your best low-cost commercial route. Otherwise, buy a $15 bottle of rust blue and test your skills.

Posts: 3710 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Blueing in my area starts at $200 and goes up depending on how much work needs to be done how high a polish you want and how bad the gun is to begin with.

Danforth
Bluing

Hot flash

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
polish it yourself and then have someone reblue. thats the cheap route on reblue. its the polishing that takes the work

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you decide to have it coated, ROBAR in Arizona has a new finish that is supposed to be more protective than their older coating. I believe it is RoGuard II. One of my .375's has been reworked by them and has a RoGuard finish and it is very durable and looks like a decent blue job. The new finish comes in just about any color you want it in.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Send it to CASII and let Charley Cerakote it, $195 plus shipping.

Rifle Stock Painting

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
fishing

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
quote:

Doctoral Thesis I Presume? Might be similar to mine.

Posts: 1462 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Dura Coat products work well. Can use on metal or wood.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Why do anything to it, its just a model 70... Big Grin

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srtrax:
Why do anything to it, its just a model 70... Big Grin

Back in the old days of AR you would not dare post anything about a M700 Remington.

Now it has expanded to M70's! rotflmo

Back to the question:

I have Robar Roguard on several rifles, love it.

Posts: 1462 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I am batting about 25% crooks, liars, cheats and thieves.

Forrest,
If I was you, I would just do a simple matte hot blue, doesn't cost as much due to the lack of all the polishing time.

If you are serious about it, go the Black T route.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

at least thats what the"experts" say

Posts: 1743 | Registered: 25 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Forrest,
I am in shock!!! After all the harassing you give me for my varmint M70's I never thought I would ever hear you actually admit to owning a push feed M70.

I have to second having Charlie Santoni give it his treatment. I have had him do stuff for me on a couple occasions and it has always looked excellent. And on top of that his turn around time is outstanding.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Forrest is going to tell us Sunday what his plans are!

Posts: 408 | Location: morgan city, LA | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:

You forgot the Moonshiners, Gunrunners and Horse Thieves in my Ancestry.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Forrest,
I am in shock!!! After all the harassing you give me for my varmint M70's I never thought I would ever hear you actually admit to owning a push feed M70.

Probably a pre 64 push feed ...

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
The rifle is an early 80's Featherweight in 270. It belonged to a friend who left in in a trailer at the deer camp for a couple of years. It has some significant rust on it and when I complained about his treatment of the rifle, he told me it was mine to fix or dispose of. I think I'll take a crack at fixing it up without going nuts.

I have to keep reminding myself that the last thing I need is a beater rifle and that I can get a brand new CRF M70 for less than $700.

One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Definitely a full rust blue job and re do the stock. Then show your friend how to treat a good rifle! It would become a great conversation piece for many years and you could have friendly arguments and ribbing ......

Well.. that is what I would do if it was my friend Barry's rifle!

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
The rifle is an early 80's Featherweight in 270. It belonged to a friend who left in in a trailer at the deer camp for a couple of years. It has some significant rust on it and when I complained about his treatment of the rifle, he told me it was mine to fix or dispose of. I think I'll take a crack at fixing it up without going nuts.

I have to keep reminding myself that the last thing I need is a beater rifle and that I can get a brand new CRF M70 for less than $700.

Sounds like a good idea that isn't. I'd sell it and give your friend the money back, or put it toward a metal grip cap on your next custom job. Or if you just have to see how it cleans up, let's meet for lunch and I'll give it a bargain basement rust blue try. I'm going to be running a few of my own through the cabinet in April anyway...

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I had a NEF Handi rifle that got left in the woods for a week. It rained all week and when I was finally able to go get it the whole rifle was covered in rust. Being a Handi rifle I didn't want to spend any money on it but these rifles qualify for "primative" weapons season here in Mississippi so I'm forced to hunt with it for 6 weeks out of the season.

After looking at all my options I went with a DIY Ceracoat paint job. First, I wiped the whole rifle down with naval jelly. This got rid of all the rust and most of the bluing. Then I sand blasted the barreled action with 80 grit media and shot the air dry Ceracoat on with a Preval spray rig I bought at the local paint store for about $10.

I guess I've got about $50-$60 into it and the finish is acceptable. What came in at a close second option was BBQ grill spray paint Smiler

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Terry, How disappointing to see a fine "custom" rife wearing such a cheap optics rig. I recommend a quarter rib set up for Talley rings and a Swaro Z6. BTW the best buck I've ever taken was with an H&R Handi-rifle in the Louisiana primitive weapon season. Smiler
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
A few years ago I had a NEF Handi rifle that got left in the woods for a week. It rained all week and when I was finally able to go get it the whole rifle was covered in rust. Being a Handi rifle I didn't want to spend any money on it but these rifles qualify for "primative" weapons season here in Mississippi so I'm forced to hunt with it for 6 weeks out of the season.

After looking at all my options I went with a DIY Ceracoat paint job. First, I wiped the whole rifle down with naval jelly. This got ride of all the rust and most of the bluing. Then I sand blasted the barreled action with 80 grit media and shot the air dry Ceracoat on with a Preval spray rig I bought at the local paint store for about $10.

I guess I've got about $50-$60 into it and the finish is acceptable. What came in at a close second option was BBQ grill spray paint Smiler

Terry

Posts: 603 | Location: Louisiana USA | Registered: 24 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
quote:

I give it a 320 sanding and hot blue and keep her oiled up from time to time, back to factory condition.

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
Or...Give Duane a blank check and see what he comes up with. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Definitely a DIY project, I'd probably just get rid of the rust and rattle can it, touch it up as needed.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Couple of Sharpies.

Mike

Posts: 21380 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
purple sharpies would give a nice hue