New
Find
Notify
Tools

MUZZLE BRAKE
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW A MUZZLE BRAKE IS PUT ONTO THE BARREL,DO I NEED A GUNSMITH OR CAN I DO THIS MYSELF.I WOULD LIKE TO BUY A 45/70 OR A 444 BARREL FOR MY T/C ENCORE PISTOL BUT DONT WANT TO DEAL WITH HEAVY RECOIL.ANY INPUT IS WELCOME THANKS

Posts: 262 | Location: pa | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Wellllllllllllllllll... how good of a machinist are you?

The muzzle end of the barrel will need outer threads that will match the inner threads of the brake. The "bore" of the brake will need to be opened up "X"-amount over bore size of the barrel. You'll need to keep the center axis of the muzzle brake in line with the center axis of the barrel. Honestly, it's just better to have someone do it for you -- preferably someone who knows what he/she is doing.

And, speaking from vast experience, a good brake is worth 45 times what you paid for it. Again, that's a "good" brake.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Russel,

What do you consider a good brake? Do you use them and if you do who's do you reccomend? Thanks

Posts: 156 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 18 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well. I would suggest having a professional gun smith install it. My suggestion is to call Mag-Na Break or Magna Port, same company and have them install one of theirs. If you have no or very little metal lathe experience it is not a good idea to do it yourself. Magna Break will charge 150 dollars and do a good job.

I did worked for Power Custom, Inc for 7 years and did my own custom rifles and built my own comps. You can screw up your threads. Get them too small and when you screw the comp on it is really loose. Then you have to cut your barrel off and start over. So they can be a pain. DO NOT CALL POWER CUSTOM AND EXPECT THEM TO WORK ON RIFLES, THEY ARE PISTOL SMITHS NOT RIFLE BUILDERS. I built my rifles on my own time. This is from my own experience.

Also the exit hole has to be opened .040 bigger than the bore diameter so the bullet does not shave the jacket as it exits the barrel.

Posts: 99 | Location: Blue Springs, MO | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best comps I have used are VIAS and Gunners Choice. I have also used Gentry. Pretty good too. Vias is the best.

Posts: 99 | Location: Blue Springs, MO | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I highly recommend that if you're going to install a muzzle brake that you do it yourself. Use an arc welder, super glue, or thread it on with a pipe theader; what ever is handy. Since any muzzle brake will destroy the barrel anyway, why pay a gunsmith $100 for vandalism you can accomplish yourself?

Posts: 13240 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek,

I don't know where you came up with the idea putting a muzzle break distroys the barrel. That is the the funnies thing I have heard in a while. Why don't you stick to BB guns because you obviously don't know what your talking about. I have installed at least 50 breaks if not more on rifles and pistols and none of them shot worse after than they did with out a break. If you don't know what your talking about, don't add your 2 cents.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi if you want another option check muzzlebrake.com this guy does good work .Bob

Posts: 116 | Location: N.J. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a VIAS brake put on my .300 Weatherby. It shoots as well as before, the recoil is now about like a .270 Winchester, and the noise and concussion are relatively mild. The VIAS design eliminates alot of noise normally associated with brakes. Shooting off the bench doesn't bother those around me.

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Theres Nothing Like The Smell Of Hoppes In The Morning" [Big Grin]

I might start on that instead of a coffe first thing [Wink]

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Well, first... please, it's "Vais," not "Vias" and it's a name, not an acronym, so it's "Vais" and not "VAIS"... okay? Any man deserves to have his name spelled correctly.

Second, to answer the gentleman's question... I've used Gentry's "Quiet" Brake, the Gunners Choice Recoil Reducer, Brockman's B.E.S.T. adjustable brake (which I had installed on the .375 H&H Magnum I just had built on a Mauser), and one from Shrewd. At the time I bought them, they were each "the best" for the particular application for which they were intended.

Take a moment and go to http://www.brownells.com and search (in "products") for the words "muzzle brake." This will give you an idea what is out there, with regard to cost, type, size, and function.

Honestly, I would pay someone to do the work for you.

Lastly, I take GREAT exception with the comments about ruining barrels.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Mr. Taylor, point well taken, about a man deserving to have his name spelled correctly!! Now, this is WAY OFF THE POINT of this thread, so please forgive me, but I have a question for which I have never found a definitive answer. The old time great rifle maker - was his name Adolph Neidner, or was it Adolph Niedner?? The originator of the .25/'06, among other cartridges!! You see it both ways, about 50/50, so I have been really curious about this, for a great many years!! DOES ANYONE KNOW THE TRUE ANSWER??