New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock structural improvements Big bores
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is there anything one can do or should do to strengthen the wrist/grip area of wood stocks on big bore rifles?

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2647 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Take the action out of the stock and epoxy in a steel rod down through the grip.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I epoxy a rod through the grip of almost all the bolt rifles I build, often tieing it into the rear pillar. I ALWAYS pillar bed.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J.D.Steele:
I epoxy a rod through the grip of almost all the bolt rifles I build, often tieing it into the rear pillar.
Regards, Joe

How do you tie it into the rear pillar, weld or ???

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2 methods: use 2 small rods ~1/2" too long and spread them on either side of the (grooved) pillar; or use one rod very slightly (~1/8") too long and insert it into a hole in the rear of the pillar as you insert both in their holes in the stock. I have actually installed the second design in 2 steps, first installing the pillar and then drilling all the way through it for installation of the wrist rod.

You'll need a LOOOONG drill bit...
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
How to reinforce a rifle's stock.

Scroll down to the part about installing a wrist pin.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gun toter
posted Hide Post
NO NEED!

Buy good wood aka...Dense Wood.

I would even stay away from Claro (crapo) walnut. Not good big bore wood. And many pieces of black walnut can be lumped in the same pile. ..not all black walnut, but i have seen some that was not good.

California english or turish or any other variation of that wood is all you need.
of course the english could be wrong and all those big bore english guns have been shooting light loads for 150 years.

I love my Avatar Too Fellas.

Posts: 190 | Location: Under my dancing Avatar | Registered: 01 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When the horse rolls on it or the clutz stumbles over it, the kind of wood really doesn't matter much.....
Regards, Joe

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
If it's a real heavy kicker, a well-bedded barrel-mounted recoil lug is good to have too.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote