One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted
delete

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take it to a better gunsmith. Wink

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Can you post some pictures of the scratches?

Without seeing them I'd g out on a limb and say that while careful application of blue can cover pretty good sometimes, if the physical scratches are noticeable to you they don't hide so well.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RayGunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Singleshot03:
Can I just use four O steel wool and some touch up blueing?
Jim

Yes

Make sure its really clean and oil free before applying the cold blue. Warming the metal a little helps sometimes. The color may not be a perfect match.

Ray

...look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 117 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Singleshot03:
Can I just use four O steel wool and some touch up blueing?

Jim

A little hint when using steel wool. Most steel wool is coated with stuff to keep it from rusting. Wash the piece you intend to use in acetone first to remove this coating. It'll work better. And use a good quality cold blue like Oxpho Blue. IF that's the way you are going to proceed.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
You're going to need more than touch up blue. You're going to need Auto Body Filler. Big Grin Unless you get the whole thing refinished, that's going to stick out like the proverbial sore thumb.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westpac:
You're going to need more than touch up blue. You're going to need Auto Body Filler. Big Grin Unless you get the whole thing refinished, that's going to stick out like the proverbial sore thumb.

True that!

looks like somebody got a channel lock or vise grip on there once upon a time....

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
Looking at the finish I am going to get the whole thing refinished. Browing recomended Midwest gun Works.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Check on the various finishes available...it might look funny to ya, but I have put matte barrels onto high polished actions and they looked good to me...another thing you might consider is having your action and barrel cerrakoted (sp?). It is a baked on finish that is available in several colors, and is a matte/non glare finish, I have had several rifles done and it makes a really tough, durable, attrative finish. Pretty reasonable in cost too...

good luck!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A little hint when using steel wool. Most steel wool is coated with stuff to keep it from rusting. Wash the piece you intend to use in acetone first to remove this coating. It'll work better.

Absolutely! Otherwise it'll never "take".

AS to the mark...it looks like the "mark of shame" from someone who put the gun in a vice.

FWIW you could maybe use a very fine draw file to take the marks out after, gently trying to tap any ridges down with a flat faced hammer.

But if they are really that deep you may need to actually "spin" the barrel and take some ten tho plus of metal off.

Personally I'd just use a good "cold blue" after warming the barrel either with a hair dryer or by using a funnel to pour boiling water down the inside.

The othet solution...if this eyesore is in a suitable place is to perhaps install a barrel band sling swivel?

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:

AS to the mark...it looks like the "mark of shame" from someone who put the gun in a vice.

That's exactly what it looks likes. Vise monkey strikes again!!!!!

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote