New
Find
Notify
Tools

hole in bbl. ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently purchased a black powder, caseless, breech loading sharps reproduction buffalo gun and found that the screw holding the rear sight on goes all the way through to the bore..Should I be worried? It will only hold about 90gr. or less of powder-(depending on bullet used)-Is there enough pressure to be dangerous? Will it affect accuracy? Thanks for your help!!

Posts: 37 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 20 July 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
I am not worried as I see you are over a thousand miles away in Wisconsin.

Don't shoot it. Take it back.

Finn Aaguard got a test rifle from Kimber and they drilled a mount hole right thru into the bore also.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A guy wanted to sell me a Mauser one time (I forget which model/caliber). He had drilled/tapped it himself, and all of the fired brass had this little "half-moon" crack just forward of the webbing. I passed....

Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
It MAY not be too dangerous at BP pressures, BUT, they owe you a gun WITHOUT the hole!!

<JBelk>
posted
I can't help but be curious about a "breech loading, caseless rifle". Have they come up with something new?

Barrels should only have two holes....one in the back and one in the front. Anything else is a mistake.... gas operated autos are an exception. Ported guns aren't. They (IMO) are a mistake, too.