Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Length of Barral(Big Differance?)
 Login/Join

posted
I am rebarreling my 300 RUM and have a Lilja barrel coming for it and getting a 28in made. I have talk to some people that do alot of shooting and I can never seem to get a definite answer one way or the other. Some say that you do not need a long barrel but some say you do. For example I know a guy that shoots a 30-378 with just a 22in barrel and loves it, so my question is what length I should go with for that caliber (300RUM). I am starting to take my shooting to new levels like ranges 300 to 700 plus and want to know as much as possible because I am new to this kind of yardage. Thanks alot.

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I would go with the 28 in this rifle and use a twist that will shoot 200 grain pills. You could get by with a 26 but I think the extra two inches will get you another 50 FPS...at least that is my experience.

22" in a 30-378? I bet if he shot it in the night he would see how much unburnt powder is leaving the bore. Damn that thing must be loud ehh?

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are sitting at the bench, the long one would be fine. If you carry it I would go with 24". I can't see where 100FPS loss would hurt anything. There are better cartridges for long range target shooting.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ONLY 28"?????
I'd go with a 30 or 32" myself. Your not packing a RUM for usage as a brush buster, but for long(er) shots, so having a little more barrel hanging out won't hurt a thing

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
If you are sitting at the bench, the long one would be fine. If you carry it I would go with 24". I can't see where 100FPS loss would hurt anything. There are better cartridges for long range target shooting.
Butch

I know the rule of thumb is 40-50 fps per inch but that only applies to a given load. I found when I put a 29" tube on my 300 Wby I was able to jump to a slower powder because barrel time was long enough to get a more complete burn. More like 100 fps per inch.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tiggertate:
quote:
Butch

I know the rule of thumb is 40-50 fps per inch but that only applies to a given load. I found when I put a 29" tube on my 300 Wby I was able to jump to a slower powder because barrel time was long enough to get a more complete burn. More like 100 fps per inch.

The longer barrel give it's higher velocity for free in terms of barrel wear.
With the extra long barrel you might drop a significant volume of case capacity and get longer barrel life with acceptable performance.
Look at the ballistics of some of the early smokeless powder cartridges with 29" to 31" barrels.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 29-inch barrel on my 300WSM rifle. Twist is 1:10. I get 2910 fps out of 65 grains of H4831SC when using 180-grain HPBT Sierra MatchKings. I have read that every inch of barrel is worth 150 fps. I have not cut my barrel off in successive steps to verify this. It is stainless and cost me in excess of $500...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess that's why I don't like the 300WSM. Yesterday my 300SAUM with 180 Partitions with 62grns of H4350 chrono'd 2920fps on my Ohler 35. This is about what the Nosler booked said. It has a 25" barrel, guess I would have 3420fps with a 30" barrel or would it be 3620fps?
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use either H4831SC or RL-22 exclusively in my 300WSM. My gunsmith said to use just the 4831. But because I never listen to those who know tons more than I do, I experimented with the RL-22 and found it gives pretty much the same performance in the same charge. One powder forever and ever gets boring; I like to loosen things up a bit and have some fun out there...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess that's why I don't like the 300WSM. Yesterday my 300SAUM with 180 Partitions with 62grns of H4350 chrono'd 2920fps on my Ohler 35. This is about what the Nosler booked said. It has a 25" barrel, guess I would have 3420fps with a 30" barrel or would it be 3620fps?
Butch

LOL

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homebrewer:
I have a 29-inch barrel on my 300WSM rifle. Twist is 1:10. I get 2910 fps out of 65 grains of H4831SC when using 180-grain HPBT Sierra MatchKings. I have read that every inch of barrel is worth 150 fps. I have not cut my barrel off in successive steps to verify this. It is stainless and cost me in excess of $500...

Man, I built a 30/06 AI last summer to shoot 125gr pills. Too bad I put a 23" barrel on it, only getting 3500fps. If I had gone with a 30" barrel, would I be getting 4550?

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Butch

I don't find much difference between a 24" and a 28" barrel in the brush...they both seem to hang up at times. I always carry my rifle in the hand and when in brush will often use it to block branches. Now going down to a 20" tube makes the rifle very handy...but this would be pointless with a 300UM IMO.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the info, I think I might cut the 28 down to 26-27 inch and thinking about putting a Gentry brake on it so I do not want to get to long. Out of my factory Remington barrel (26) with 100.5gr of Retumbo the chronograph said 3350 with 180gr accubonds so velocity is not a big concern. Does anyone have any opinions on the Gentry brakes; I hear good things about them. Thanks alot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anyone have any opinions on the Gentry brakes; I hear good things about them.

The Shrewd as sold by Brownells is very effective and can be blended right into the contour of your barrel so it looks like it came that way from the factory. I have one on my 18-pound 300WSM bench queen and it really tames the recoil. Feels like a .243Win with it on. Will kick your fillings out and jump four inches up off the bags when it's taken off. Available in white steel or stainless and up to 1.000 nominal diameter. Price is about 60 bucks.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.as...title=MUZZLE%20BRAKE

http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq120/davidtowler/brake-02.jpg

http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq120/davidtowler/brake-01.jpg

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you play with Quickload software, you can see the effect of every inch of barrel.

This season I am building a number of short barreled .308s for light weight [my feet hurt more than my arms].

I have hunted with 29" in the past.
This year I will probably hunt with a 19.5" Hart or a 20.5" Lothar Walther barrel.

The key is the 200 yard zero, that nulls out most of the effects of the extra velocity.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
22" in a 30-378? I bet if he shot it in the night he would see how much unburnt powder is leaving the bore. Damn that thing must be loud ehh?

Exactly! What's the point of shooting a 30-378 out of a 22" bbl? it's like putting a 426 hemi on a skateboard. It just doesn't make since, but to each his own. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I want to thank you all for the info and will get back to you all after the work is done and let you know. thanks again!