New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rechamber 6.5 jap to 260 remington
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Japaneses 6.5 jap carbine.I am tried of looking for ammo and brass.I have about 200 pcs of ammo and brass but would like to rechamber it to 260 remington if possible foe easy ammo and brass.I know they use to rechamber them to 6.5 -257

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
It should clean it up. Little bolt face work I'd guess

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Be very wary of this; I once re-chambered a 7.7 to 308 (just to get the shoulder) so a re-enactor could shoot 7.62 blanks out of it. The barrel was literally so hard that it ate my reamer. Maybe the 6.5s are softer.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not sure the .260 Rem is a good idea.
The 6.5 Jap chamber does not have a step at the end of the case mouth. It just has a long funnel taper to the start of the rifling. A longer case than the .260 would be needed to get rid of the taper. Some Jap bolt faces are also oversize.

If your bolt face and magazine seem to work just used the now common 6.5X55.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe many if not all 7.7 japs had hard chrome chambers and bores, which likely made it tough on a reamer.

quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Be very wary of this; I once re-chambered a 7.7 to 308 (just to get the shoulder) so a re-enactor could shoot 7.62 blanks out of it. The barrel was literally so hard that it ate my reamer. Maybe the 6.5s are softer.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have done the re-chamber on one jap. You can load the bullets out much further then factory, so may want to throat for that. It does take some work on the feed rails as the rounds want to cross and hit the opposite side past the chamber.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That's right; the 7.7 in my collection does have a chrome bore. I didn't think that one I rechambered had one but now that I think about it, it probably did. I should have known that, even 30 years ago.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
If the rifle is all original, still in its military configuration and with intact mum, you might want to rethink this. Original 6.5 Jap rifles that are unmolested are starting to become collectable.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3832 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Correct 6.5 Jap brass is $26.00 a box. 260 Remington is $15.00 a box. How many times does $11.00 go into the cost of a barrel set back and rechamber job ?
As another mentioned, depending on model, condition and originality 6.5 Jap rifle/carbines can be worth big bucks, in some cases a lot more than a mint used 260 Remington would cost you.

Here's a beater asking $400 for.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=332740431

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4barexpert:
Correct 6.5 Jap brass is $26.00 a box. 260 Remington is $15.00 a box. How many times does $11.00 go into the cost of a barrel set back and rechamber job ?
As another mentioned, depending on model, condition and originality 6.5 Jap rifle/carbines can be worth big bucks, in some cases a lot more than a mint used 260 Remington would cost you.

Here's a beater asking $400 for.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=332740431

Yeah, the brass is not that hard to come by. Much easier to reload than rechamber.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I paid more for the scope mount than the gun !!!I bought the gun for $50 its sporterized.Its an awesome carbine.The norma brass is nuts I have a couple thousand pcs of 308 and 243 .It looks like the 260 is not much bigger .I like the gun its less than 6 pounds scope sling and loaded.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Someone on this forum convered one to 260 rem thats why I asked.Its a pain in the butt with no ammo no brass!!!!!

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I had a little carbine that was sporterized. I forget how many deer it took. Then I got the wize idea to swap out the barrel to something else and twisted the $hit out of the action. Mad

If you have 200 rounds how much brass do you need?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgr416:
Someone on this forum convered one to 260 rem thats why I asked.Its a pain in the butt with no ammo no brass!!!!!

I rebarreled a 6.5 Arisaka to 260. The biggest problem was slowly and carefully opening up the feed rails and the radius underneath the feed rails. I also had to change the follower. Before I done that it would only hold 3 rounds easy and fourth damn tight.

I don't know if you know it or not you can swage 308 Win into 6.5 Jap. It even leaves a semi rim and there's not much trimming as to the length. This makes a pretty stout case as the 308 case has a thick web. Lyman use to sell such a swage die. I made mine and that's what I use for brass in my other unaltered 6.5 Carbine.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgr416:

Brass in stock. Much easier and less expensive to buy 200 pieces for a $125 than to rechamber.
http://www.grafs.com/retail/ca...duct/productId/12642

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like this guy is really looking for factory ammo to shoot.
Factory brass is really crummy brass since it is so undersize at the case head. But any one with 200 pieces of brass is still set up for a long time and a lot of shooting with one of these. The odd ball 260 is one of the worse rounds to rechamber to. It has little taper and it is not going to feed without permanent modification of the feed rails. It also is not going to clean up that long long throat the Japanese used.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I know a lot of the Japs eneded up as 6.5XRoberts or 6.5 X 57. Still a reload issue. What about the 6.5x55 would it work and/or feed better than the 260?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
My son couldn't resist a little 6.5 sporter he saw at the local gun emporium. It was priced as well as constructed well enough that I couldn't say no.

It had been rechambered to 6.5x.257. It feeds fine NOW after I adjusted it. I would think that the fatter 6.5x55 would be even less apt to feed without modifications.

Midway carries, and has in stock, the fine Norma brass. No shortage of brass it seems. http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...0mm-japanese-arisaka

The 6.5x57 would be another option for rechambering. Ironically, the dies are much less expensive than 6.5x.257 dies. Factory ammo and brass is available too.

Aut vincere aut mori

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would think that the fatter 6.5x55 would be even less apt to feed without modifications.

In the case of my rifle the more tapered 6.5X55 seems to feed better. In addition the bolt face in my rifle is way oversize so the larger 6.5X55 case head is a better fit.

I say my rifle -
I can test my rifle for feed because it is dis-assembled for some work. I explored the .260 Rem until I found the long throat. It is not that bad I guess if you can get it to feed and can live with the throat. Certainly having lots of Nato brass does not hurt anything.

For use of the factory chamber, making cases out of Win. or Rem. .303 British brass works the best. You have to turn the rim down and cut an extractor groove. Then do all the forming and trimming - or do the forming with the heavy .303 rim and then cut the rim down etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best way to make brass is swaging down the 308. You do nothing to the brass after that, no machining down rims or making extractor grooves and you end up with the best possible strong case. Another not so good one, along with the 303, is some people form them out of 220 swift.

Another rechambering caliber would be the 6.5x57, essentially a 6.5x57. Then you just size 7x57 or 8x57 cases...you can also size them down from 30-06.

Bottom line in my opinion is just buy the 6.5 Jap brass and as mentioned Grafs sells it. They may be out but they will get it restocked. That way you don't have to do anything to the rifle.

With the 260 I used a new barrel and I also used a throat reamer to lengthen the throat so I could shoot the 140 grain bullets without having to load them back into the powder space. SAAMI 260 dimensions have very little freebore and short throats because Remington wants us to shoot the lighter bullets in the 260 then 140 grains and also they wanted to keep the cartridge on a shorter action.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Easy to make useable jap cases from 35 rems. I run them through the seating die to rough form, then the reg sizer die. Oddly enough, they have a little more capacity then norma jap brass. yes the rim is a little small, but works fine in the 2 or 3 Ive had.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can use 35 Remington cases but you end up with a .080 shorter neck and the head diameter is smaller. They probably hold more powder because the brass is thin. It's not a real high pressure cartridge.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
oldYou could also do a long throated 6.5 X .284. Let that short barrel bark.
shocker Just funnen. Stick with the 6.5 Jap.
beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote