New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brno M21 stock finish?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Brno Md21 7x57 (1950), that appears to have the finish stripped. This gun is otherwise perfect with original single trigger, unaltered bolt handle, and buttplate.
What would the original stock finish have been? What would I use to duplicate it? Also, the wood is very blonde, is this normal or would it have been stained?
Thanks,
Doug

ps: I will get some pictures later, if this would help.

Posts: 109 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a picture of one that may have the orginal finish.

In general the ones I have seen have a yellow look that takes some getting used to. No real reason that you have to have yellow. Some French red would make it look nicer to me.

I may refinish that stock shown above it I ever get it back from the smith. If so it will have a red color unless of course Kurt or some other expert tells us why not.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Brno shades go from blonde to red to brown. However, I believe Brno changed their wood source around 1950. Earlier models from the 40's usually have nice figure. Later models from the 50's are straight grained and pretty bland.

The original finish was a light coat of gloss varnish that does little to protect the wood. They did not coat the inletting nor the checkering. When I come across a Brno I put it into one of three categories:

Safe queens that are in original factory condition.

Hunted rifles that have had additional protection applied to them.

Hunted rifles that have not been protected and are now basket cases. Big Grin

I do not know what type of varnish would duplicate that used 50 years ago. I doubt that urethane was available back then. Maybe one of our resident stock experts can better guide you.

If you are going to hunt with the rifle, I would recommend taking advantage of today's superior products and do a thorough job.

On a side note, Mannlicher-Schoenauer also did not apply any varnish to the barrel channel or inletting.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree a more modern finish is in order. I would like to duplicate the appearance of the original even though my tastes run with matte oil look. This stock is plenty plain.

Posts: 109 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Below is a 1946 22f in 7x64 with nice figure. Original finish is a light gloss varnish that does not even fill the grain.

Below is a 1942 wartime production 22f in 8x57 with no buttplate or grip cap. Very plain wood with some type of smooth oil finish.

This is a 1954 21h in 8x60s with an additional coat of oil or wax, as the finish is smooth. Very little figure.

This 1938 model A in 8x60s has been refinished by me. Very dense wood with nice color and figure. Finish is a lot of teak oil with a top coat of urethane spar varnish.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
djpepper,

I hesitate to show this beat up old 21h but the finish may be orginal. The camera seems to have enhanced it's look and color however and it's just a dented up old thin yellow finished stock.

The consensis seems to be that the color of the wood varied and few like the yellow. Also that the ones I have seen have a very thin finish. The old M70's also had a nice looking thin finsh too but those are a thousand times more durable than the Brno's.

I would get it stained and finished to look like an old M70 stock. Well maybe a little more red than brown. Get it done to your taste.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, most of them are pretty bland, but they are dry and hard as woodpecker lips, and I have never seen one warp, perhaps the plain straight grain wood is the best way to go..Most of my custom rifles are pretty straight grained and no gobbledegoop in the butt....I believe marble cake even in the butt has an effect on the forend wood...plus I only use quarter sawn and quarter sawn wood is never as colorful as slab sawn wood...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote