Find
Notify
Tools

the most reliable semi-auto rimfire?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi
please tell me about the most reliable and well-made semi-auto (rimefire/22lr or 22 mag) you know. i actually like them in stainless and take-down models like Marlin Papoose ,but i've never owned such a gun and curious to know How they work.
regards
danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would vote for the ruger 10 22 I have shot tens of thousands of rounds through them. They just keep going and going. I have seen to many proplems with marlin simi autos for my tastes.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have experiance with many different types of autoloaders, but my Ruger 10/22 seems to feed just about everything that I care to feed it. Excellent little firearm for the money! Feeds a fair bit better then the old AR-7 explorer!!

Posts: 248 | Location: Republic of Alberta | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Marlin that is 20 years old, had hundered's of bricks of ammo fired in it, been cleaned twice!

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
10-22 always worked for me as long as I user Ruger magazines. Those groovey 30 round after-market mags aren't worth a crap.

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Colt Woodsman.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Without a doubt the Win. M-63 (the old discontinued ones) and they are also the most accurate of all the sporting 22 cal hunting rifles on the average...IMO. they are expensive today, but a lot of them are available.

The next best and maybe the full equal is one of the old Brno 22 rifles with the barrel band sights and the schenable forends, they just shot great, and looked really sleek and trim, I love those great little guns.....

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington Nylon 66

Posts: 199 | Location: Harnett County NC | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If by "reliability" you mean function, then I would say the Ruger 10/22, although a Marlin 99 or derivatives is usually also good. Both can be accurate, but the Ruger trigger requires a larger block and tackle to pull.

I've seen a few auto .22's which gave functioning problems, but most are near 100% reliable if kept reasonably clean and properly lubed.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
Reliable but ugly...Remington Nylon 66. These rifles never need to be cleaned or maintained and shoot forever even if they are not tack drivers as they heat up.

Reliable and looks good....Ruger 10/22. You can customize them to your hearts content.Rarely needs cleaning or maintenance.

Reliable, accurate and beautiful...Browning Takedown with travle case. Higher the grade the higher the WOW factor. Must be kept spotless clean and lightly lubed.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I have a little Browning Belgium made take down 22 that is a beaut. Very accurate and fast handling. I have found that my Browning requires far less maintainence and can take far more neglect in cleaning than my 10/22's. It is also much easier field strip for cleaning than any other semi auto out there. I have put as many as 1000 rounds through her over 3 days and she never even hiccupped. Both my 10/22's need serious cleaning long before that point. I do want to add that I am obsessive when it comes to keeping my guns clean. The 3 day/1000 rds is as much as I have ever neglected a rifle in that manner. The Browning is well worth the money.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruger 10-22 for reliability they just keep functioning no matter what it seems. But for hunting I prefer my old Remington 552 Speedmaster, it points like a shotgun and is easy to hit running bunnies with.

Posts: 1295 | Location: 3rd Planet from the Sun | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn it, two things in one day that I agree with what Ray said???? The model 63, hands down, accuracy, reliability and out and out well built great rifle.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HARDBALLER
posted Hide Post
Yup! I second the Nylon 66 is the most reliable. I sold it though and bought a 10/22.

Posts: 194 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did someone say 10/22

Stick to the Ruger 10 shot mag. Keep her clean but don't scrub it to death. These all have the triggers lighened up, I find them a bit lite for my taste, a bit too smooth, not as sharp as I like. But good for a Single stage.

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
The Ruger 10-22

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marlin Model 60. Underated reliabiltiy and subperb accuracy.

Posts: 62 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 July 2003Reply With Quote