Find
Notify
Tools

TIG Welding a Mauser Extractor
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ladies and Gentlemen:

I have two almost pristine 1908 Brazilian Mauser extractors on actions that are a bit sloppy when handling new 30-06/8x57 cases. The extractor will not firmly grip the case heads.

I would like to salvage them.

Can you TIG weld the lip end of the extractor that holds the cartridge head without ruining the temper of the extractor? I'd like to add a bit of metal by welding, and after re-contouring the lip to give the lip a good .005" expansion spread that will firmly hold the cartridge case head to the bolt nose.

My thoughts were that some heat control paste could be added on the 90 degree part of the extractor, and then wrap the rest of it in a wet rag while welding.

Any ideas?

Sincerely,

Chris Bemis

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Siam_Krag
posted Hide Post
You could weld onto the extractors using spring stock as filler material. Then draw back to a blue color re-fit extractor. Then re-heat treat it. Don't see any way around re-heat treatment. Not too hard to do though.

Posts: 169 | Location: Santa Cruz, California | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would it not be more practical to use one of these ?

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx...uct/MAUSER-EXTRACTOR

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris, if it is that close you can dress down the back side of the ectractor. Both the lip that rides in the grove and the hollow that clears the bolt lug. I stack several cut off wheels in the dremel to make the thickness needed, since you won't find a grinding wheel readily available at the local hardware that matches the contour. This is how I adjust 1909 extractors for the -06 case rim. Go slow as it doesn't take much, sometimes I coat it with a sharpie below I test if to find the high spots.
Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks gentlemen.

Posts: 2594 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 30 July 2006Reply With Quote