New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mel Smart of Artistry in Wood
 Login/Join

<Rod@MRC>
posted
With profound sorrow, I regretfully report the passing of Merlin (Mel) Smart. Mel passed away Sunday morning after a long and difficult struggle in which he never surrendered. His final conversation with me early last week was filled with anticipation about leaving the hospital, about getting back to his shop and churning out some great new ideas for target and varmint stock designs.
Mel was a man well used to adversity. Caught behind enemy lines while blowing up power stations, he spent time as POW courtesy of North Korea. In the prime of his life, an operation to correct an aneurysm went bad and confined him to a wheelchair, where he spent the last fourteen years.
Visiting Mel in his shop became a social event. You better have time to burn for he bent your ear about politics, about guns in general and stockmaking in particular. He was a true gentleman and I learned a lifetime�s worth of tips in finishing fine walnut in the five short years I knew him. He will be sorely missed and we are diminished by his passing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am sorry to hear the news. What fine stocks he had. He will be missed.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Jordan>
posted
Rod:

What a sad event. I knew Mel only from telephone conversations. What a gentleman. I was unaware of the tragedy that befell Mel in the prime of life. He certainly made the most of his situation. He will be genuinely missed. I hope you or someone will be able to carry on his fine work. I think his laminates are great and am finishing one into a stock for an HVA rifle right now. I wish you the best in coping with this loss.

In sorrow,

Jordan

one of us
posted Hide Post
I too am very sorry to hear that. May God bless those that knew him well and are mourning his loss.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rod,
I am saddened to hear of the loss of Mel Smart, for you also as he was your friend. He was a good friend also of Maurice Ottmar and he spoke highly of him as did Don Cantwell. People like Mel, who have a vision that is unique, the drive to carry it out and the personality to sell it are rare these days. He will be missed, but we are so much better off for his contributions to our sport and business.

My thoughts are with you and with his family.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I knew Mel from talking on the telephone and from his products. He never let the considerable burdens he had to carry color his interactions with other people.

I am sorry that he is no longer among us. [Frown]

jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mel was unique. Not only a fine stockmaker, but he knew more about machining and gun building than he let on. His vision with the AcraBond stocks has made a lasting impression on the custom gun world.

Mel loved fine guns, the outdoors, serious hunting, and the back country that we all know and understand.

I learned much from Mel, he was always willing to pass on some of his tricks of the trade about stock making and finishing.

A great guy, he will be missed.

[ 04-15-2003, 19:46: Message edited by: John Ricks ]

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
Truely a sad day to know that Mel will no longer be with us. The brief time that I got to spend at his shop was quite memorable. He did great work, and coupled that with an unbeatable personality.
From everyone here at Williams Firearms, please send our deepest sympathy to his wife and loved ones. He will be truely missed.

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote